Damp, Dank and Deadly

"Jesus it's nasty down here..." Minho whispered.

Thomas nodded in agreement. The Underground has always been some sort of combination of nasty and horrible. But if it was were he had to go to save his friends- no, family- then he would.

Thomas thought back to his first time down here. The weird, creepy riddle the Crank said echoing through this head.

"Do you hear anything?" Brenda asked Scott quietly.

Scott pauses for a moment, his eyes glossing over.

"Faintly, yes. We have to keep going forward though." Scott spoke.

The group walked through the tunnels. Old signs of life carved and painted onto the walls. Foreign, alien-like plants plants growing out of almost every crack.

If it wasn't for the zombie apocalypse outside, it would be interesting. Instead it was like walking on ice, always in fear of falling in the water. But in this case it was a flesh eating, infected Crank about to eat them.

Before Scott could even warn anyone, something crawled out of a tunnel.

The form was pale, decayed and nauseating in every sense of the word. The Crank looked at them, eyes black and drooling some form of blood.

Thomas acted quickly and pulled out machete. Not stupid enough to use a gun as it would echo and alert more their way.

Before the thing could scream or even snarl, it's head had Thomas' blade stuck in its skull.

He looked down at the creature, he looked down at his friend's fates if they didn't keep moving.

Pulling his blade out, the group kept moving. Taking turns whenever Scott instructed them to.

Gally looked around himself. This is where he had gone after The Glade had collapsed. Sometimes he could still hear the walls falling down...

Gally remembered his first encounter with a Crank. His first encounter that nearly cost his life. He could remember not being able to save someone. He could remember them mumble some sort of nursery rhyme, something about roses and noses.

"They're close, I can only hear two heartbeats so they're alone." Scott confirmed.

"But that doesn't mean that he isn't still dangerous. Remember Rat Man did get infected, I don't know what he's been doing to stay alive, but it made him stronger no doubt about it. We aren't those gullible kids anymore who would do anything for shelter. And if we fail, that most likely means more death." Thomas deadpanned.

"So, how do we want to do this?" Brenda asked.

————

A/N: Oooo I posted ❤️