17

Stavros

"In your anger or joy, do not make rash decisions" My mother would always remind me of that before. I didn't pay mind to her words...not until now.

I despise a man who can't be firm and rationale of their decision...yet today, that man is myself.

The Bibliotheca chamber was silent and it's what I needed most after all the cries that echoed in the grand hall earlier.

I sat down and rested my head on both my hands.

About a quarter of our slaves courageously named themselves, about a quarter of those who named themselves died and I don't doubt if the death count continues to increase in the span of three days that they will be starved.

Damn it! goddamn it! I've underestimated their will, I thought that after they witnessed Tunisa's consequence they would surrender and just marvel on the damn food served for them, but fuck...one by one slaves lined up, waiting for their turn to name themselves in front of everyone and waited for the death call that awaits them.

Tunisa, that woman. How can I not foresee this? Fifty blows were enough to kill a hyaena, a lion or a fucking monster of the lake. But she endured it! which made the other slaves fueled by her will.

I have misread the look on her face, I thought she was nearly giving up the moment she looked up at me while drenched in her own blood.

She could have yelled stop and everything will be stopped, she could have pleaded me but she did none of those!

I was ready to halt my men if she'd just given me any sign, but none was given.

Now a quarter of our slaves are lying on the damn grand hall bathed in their crimson blood, has it been a rash decision mother? was I driven by my anger again?

The door bolted open and along came Estevan's mourning face.

"I've come to see you" He said

"If you have nothing helpful to say Estevan retire to your chamber, I'm in no condition to converse" I said in a notably tired tone, damn I'm tired and irrational

"You know father won't like what you did" He said

"Since when did Grato cared about the slaves?" I pried back

"No, I'm referring to the privilege you've given them...Grato won't like the fact that you've given them choice to have a name"

I have to scorn on that statement. The privilege that was given to them as compared to the lives that was lost...aren't we all fucked up men?

"Grato is old...it's time someone gets to decide for the greater good"

"The greater good?" Orrin suddenly appeared by the doorway

"Must I repeat my word brothers? It was still for the greater good...they name themselves and I set the price" I said as I gradually stood up and faced them

"I was thinking you're only doing this to justify the rebelling act of that redheaded whore who named herself" Orrin said as he grimaced at me

"And because you know any act of rebellion is punishable with death"  Orrin added, clearly emphasizing the last word

"I see...an open punishment to hide the penalty of death" Estevan said in a low tone.

"You've done this to ease her from death penalty, unknowingly you've just sped up her death more and I assure you...she's dying now" Estevan triggered me further