49

A glimpse of the past

Stavros

My stomach quivered in pain.

I wasn't fed for three days now, father said I'm still lacking something.

He said I'm not ready yet, that I'm weak and useless. I can't rule Sorrom because I let my emotions rule over me.

He doesn't want me to pity the prisoners we torture and now he's showing me how it's done.

It feels like a year being trapped in the valley land.

Sometimes my mind drifts on the daylight, luring me back to the comforts of my warm bed in Sorrom.

I closed my eyes and pretended I wasn't tied inside a dungeon, that I wasn't famished to death, that I wasn't beaten and bruised, that I am clean and not this rotten boy who had never bathe for months.

Gradually a soft voice inside my head soothes all the ache.

"Ros?" It was a soft lulling voice

With my eyes closed, I reminisced the last conversation I had with Moth.

That night before I was taken to the valley land. The same night when my mother came to hug me tenderly and tell me how much she loved me.

Once mother closed the door I stared unbelieving at Moth, standing right outside my partly opened window, his wide blue eyes asking for my permission if he can come inside.

I secured my door locked, ensuring no one could get inside then I opened my window and waived for him to get in, it was raining and he looked freezing.

"Why are you still here?" I asked him out of disbelief

He shake off his wet clothes like a dog and smiled at me

"I came to see you before you leave" he said, his sad eyes widely looking at me

"And I bought you this" Moth then opened his tiny hands and showed a black gemstone that has a hole where a thin bronze was inserted, tied neatly.

An amulet I suppose.

We both sat on the ground near my bed as I examined the thing he just showed me

"You made this? Where did you get this?" I asked bewildered at his sudden excitement

"My father helped me create it, I told him it would be for you...it's the color of your eyes, a beautiful black night sky!" Moth smiled at me

"He knows me then?" I asked and Moth nodded, his eyes tearing on the sides

"Oh Moth, I will miss you, you silly boy come here" I urged him to move forward and he did.

He was still drenched in cold but I hugged him anyway. It was minutes of us hugging, he must've treasured the heat until I feel him shaking.

"Hey" I looked down and slightly push his body to stare at his small framed face

"Are you crying? Again?" I asked and tried to let out an uneasy laugh

Moth cried just hours ago, when we were at the river with Grand. I thought everything was already settled but now it seems he's still sad over me and Grand leaving.

"Go on, you need to let that all out, but just a little quieter because someone may hear us" I hushed him. He had a runny nose and a red puffy eyes.

"Ros, my mother has not returned for a very long time now. My father said she just needed to go somewhere but I know he's lying, because I hear him crying every night." Moth said and I listened intently, it was the first time he talked to me about his parents