24

Glimpse of the Past

Stavros

"You are a complete cheater and a thief!" I ran after Grand who stole half of the fish I caught.

"You have said that many times and yet you don't watch after your things" He blurted as he continued running in circle.

I am so tired, hungry and the sun is scorching hot.

Father said we shouldn't wander too far and the river isn't too far or is it?

But the concern is my churning stomach and mischievous Grand who always steal from me.

"If I catch you I'm really going to punch you without doubt!" I yelled out of breath

"You can't, who are you kidding?" He teased and I am not happy.

"I hope a thousand bee sting you" I tried to lure Grand that I'm still running behind him, but I changed my direction and meet him halfway.

He shouted while carrying a basket full of fish, my fish to be exact.

"Give it back! you can't even eat them raw!" I tried to negotiate

"No! what I get is mine now" but Grand is such a selfish airhead.

I almost caught him...almost but he ran another clockwise and dashed all the way.

It happened so fast, a minute Grand was running away while carrying the basket of fish and now it was raining fish!

Beneath him is a boy, a thin boy with bald head.

They're both hurt so I ran after them.

"Is everyone alright?" I asked, I checked on Grand first. He had a bruised elbow.

"You deserve that!" Now I fire back at him.

The thin bald boy gently eased his way out, his head has grown red from the impact of their clash. He seemed very hurt and nearly crying.

Then he cried, softly. I've never seen a boy cry, father said a boy should never ever shed a tear, if he does, he'll be a disgrace.

Grand looked at me in panic. He doesn't know what to do, bet he hasn't also witnessed a boy cry before?

I elbowed Grand

"Apologize!" I whispered.

"I did!" He whispered back.

I don't know what to freaking do! So I offered him a wriggling fish.

"Here, this is yours" I said while I kneel in front of him.

He is total skin and bones, his color is pale and his fingers are shaking, his hand was imprinted by a white quarter moon shaped birthmark.

Then he looked up at me, his blue eyes damped in tears. Had this boy never been taught by his father that boy's shouldn't cry?

He took the wriggling fish and placed it on his lap.

"This is mine?" He said and that's when I and Grand knew that the little boy has already calmed down.

"Yes, come we will cook" I told him and his face shine in glee as he took my hand.

We placed all the fish back to river side and prepared the twigs to be burnt.

Grand is an expert at making fire so I let him be, while I eased the fishes out of their misery by knocking them with stones, I'm sorry delicious creatures, forgive me.