27

A Glimpse of the past

Stavros

Mother was crying yesterday, she had a big bruise on her cheek and she was hiding it from us this morning.

"What happened to your face?" I asked her for the tenth time and no plans on backing up until she speaks.

She surrendered by dinner time.

She said she got it when she slipped at the public bathhouse. My father was just looking at her while she explain things to me and my brothers.

Orrin and Estevan are always very noisy and destroys almost everything inside the palace when they play.

Sometimes I want to hate them both but I am their oldest brother.

Father said I'm bound to protect them at all  cost, until I take his place.

I don't really know what father means when he told me that, all I understand is that couple of days from now he would take me to the valley land with him, to visit our kin and from there he'll train me.

I'm still ten, I hope they could still let me play and adventure as much as I want.

"Do you think it will rain?" My momentary silence was broken when Moth asked Grand.

"No, I'm sure it won't for tonight. As long as you can see the stars up there, rain won't come." Grand answered.

"I'm gonna take a nap"  Grand added as he yawned.

We were all lying on the ground, our bare backs feeling the shelter offered by the sharp cold grass.

Another tiring day after our usual routines.

We didn't caught much fish today but we hunted and burned frogs.

I didn't know frogs could be eaten if not of Moth who recommended it.

Moth eats almost everything! from the insects that fly up above down to the worms buried deep underground. Maybe it was the way they live up in the mountains.

"My back hurts" Moth grunted and turned to face me instead. 

His ocean eyes were drowsy but he gave me a faint smile.

He was still small and scrawny and always wear the same brown clothing whenever he'd come to meet us.

"Ros, I will touch your face" Moth said bluntly and didn't wait for my confirmation as he landed his small hands on my cheeks.

I turned to face him too, sometimes I wished Orrin and Estevan could be as tame and kind as Moth.

"I warned you not to call me Ros" I hissed at him playfully and he gave out a little chuckle.

"But Ros is nice" He smiled toothily, his hand stopped pestering my cheek and went to mess up my hair.

His eyes glitter, illuminated by the full moon.

"It's so soft!" he exclaimed and continued assaulting my hair with his tiny hands.

But then his eyes turned sad

"What's wrong?" I asked him

"I wish I could have my hair back too" he admitted shyly

"What's wrong with being bald? You still look great" I tried to comfort him, If I know one thing about Moth it was that he cries most of the time over small silly things.

"Do you think my hair will grow back and be as soft as yours?" He asked and I nodded assuring him, finally earning a smile from him.

He yawned and I yawned too, I'm really tired.