Chapter ten

Ten

Amelia had been busy the last couple of weeks opening her new shop.  She had quickly outgrown Leonardo’s place and with the publicity from Belinda’s wedding business was blooming indeed.  She was swamped with wedding gown orders and was soon launching her own ladies clothing line called MELLY. She had never imagined that so soon she would be such a huge success and she knew she had Belinda to thank for all this. She had to admit she really missed her. The newlyweds had been gone for five weeks and they would be returning anytime soon, she couldn’t wait to hear tales of their trip but above all she couldn’t wait to see what they would think of their home. Amelia had spent a lot of time with the decorators and she was rather pleased with the final result she only hoped Richard and Belinda would feel the same way.

Rubbing a knot in her back Amelia stood to go to lunch, her assistant Mercy was watching her strangely as she stretched. “Mercy I’m going out for lunch will be back in an hour or so.”

“Ok Amy but you should go see a doctor about that backache or else you should not hunch so much over those designs you draw every day.” Mercy advised.

“Well Mercy for your own information it’s those drawings that ensure you have a job and you get paid at the end of the month.”

“Fine I love those drawings but at least see a doctor about it or else find a more comfortable drawing board.” Mercy replied.

Amy had to admit that Mercy was right. Ever since she had started working on the clothing line she had been unduly putting pressure on her back and she was now paying for it. She had also suffered an attack three weeks ago but she was used to pain, it was only the backache she was really worried about. This work was going to be her life so she needed to find a solution and quickly because she had a deadline to meet.

Driving over to Emily’s Amelia felt a sharp pain and this time in her lower abdomen, by the time she arrived at Emily’s place she was nearly doubled over with the pain. Emily took one look at her and called emergency services. “I’m ok Emily.” Amelia tried to convince her friend.

“You are not Amy and this time I won’t let you talk your way out of this one. You need to get to the hospital Amy. You have left it to go on for too long. You don’t have to continue punishing yourself with this pain.” Emily had tears in her eyes looking at her friend who was groaning in agony. Amelia had let this go on for too long it was time she saw a doctor.

Emily and her husband Spencer had been sitting in the waiting room for almost an hour before they were allowed to see Amy. Emily’s tears were still brimming when she walked into the hospital room. Amy looked pale but the pain had obviously lessened because she managed a smile and sat up in the bed. Emily pushed her back gently, “don’t sit up on our account Amy, you need to rest. How are you feeling now and what did the doctor say?”

“I’m ok Em and what are those tears for whose dead?” Amelia asked trying to cheer up her friend. She felt much better. “Hi Spencer don’t tell me she dragged you away from your work.”

“Yes she did but I don’t mind at all, you scared us a little didn’t you? What did the doctor say was wrong with a healthy young woman like you?” Spencer said taking a seat. Emily was sitting on the bed.

“Well no one has told me anything yet. They just ran some tests and I’m expecting the doctor anytime now.” Amelia said, a feeling of apprehension suddenly overwhelming her. Just then the doctor walked in.  “How are you feeling Miss Richards? The results are out; if your visitors can excuse us we can have a word in private.” Amelia glanced at Emily who looked like she had no intention of moving at all and was about to point it out. “Its ok doc, you can say whatever you want to say, they are family.”