Chapter nine

Nine

The wedding day dawned warm and sunny, it was a beautiful day and it was a beautiful wedding. All the who’s who of the world were there and Belinda looked ethereal. Amelia was so proud of her creations, everyone was talking about the dresses, and especially the second one Belinda wore for the reception. It was modern and chicky and Belinda did it proud as she danced across the floor. There was no reason at all for anyone not to enjoy the music and the world class food that was being served but Amelia was not totally happy. Antonio, this one word spelled out her problem.  That second night when he had come to her again she had woken up to his lovemaking just before dawn. He had been oh so gently and tender, he had made her feel like she was the most beautiful woman in the world, and when he was ready to drive them to ecstasy she had  stopped him and changed roles with him. This time it was her who had driven him crazy with her touch and kisses. Oh how she had loved the feel of his skin beneath her fingers, how she had teased and teased him until he couldn’t stand it any longer.

Antonio looking like a god in his black tuxedo and white shirt, Antonio had left while she slept in the aftermath of their lovemaking. He had left and never returned or called. She had waited and waited three weeks now but he had never contacted her anymore.  Amelia had hoped she would bump into him at the house in the final preparations of the wedding and that had never happened. This is the first time she had seen him since that night of intense lovemaking. Pride had prevented Amelia from calling him or enquiring about him from Belinda. This was a modern age but she refused to chase after a man. She still believed a woman should be wooed and if Antonio didn’t call then that was it, she would not call him afterall he had been the one to appear at her doorstep. Sometimes she felt like her memory of Antonio had been muddled, that she had only imagined the exquisite pleasures of his mouth and hands on her. Until Antonio had come into her life, she hadn’t known that one could ache for another’s touch, that one could burn for the brush of a certain pair of lips or that one’s body could come stingingly alive from the caress of just one particular person. She had to forget him and move on with her life otherwise she would lapse into depression again. She felt stronger now, she had aimed too high and now she was suffering for it.

Across the room Antonio was regarding Amelia as she danced with his father. Amelia who had made love to him.  Amelia who had almost driven him insane with desire. Amelia who had caressed and kissed him all over to the point of madness and when he thought he couldn’t go any further she had straddled him and ridden him like he had never been ridden before. The pleasure had been so sweet it was almost pain and when he had exploded he had almost thought they would have to pick up pieces of him all over the room. Leaving her had been the hardest thing he had had to do in a very long time. He had been afraid of losing his very soul to her. She was so giving, her heart so open that he knew he had hurt her and deep, but it had been for the best. He could never be the type of man she wanted, the type of man she needed, the type of man she deserved.

The only problem was that Amelia was already a problem. He had been doing his best to avoid her at all costs and that was getting to him. He had never had to avoid a woman he had made love to. Some of the women had called him a bastard but he didn’t care. With Amy it was different he couldn’t just meet her say hie and pretend nothing had happened. With Amy he had prolonged going home at night the last week of the wedding cause she was almost always there. He had avoided going anyway with his mother or Belinda cause chances were that she would join them. He had done the unspeakable, he had slept with his sister’s best friend and now he was paying for it. He wondered if Amy knew how much he was suffering too, but he didn’t have the courage to look into her eyes and see the pain he had put there. For the first time in his life he felt guilty about something he had done and he was angry. Damn Amy and her lovely body for making him feel like a bastard. She had not said it to him; she had let him say it to himself. What kind of woman was this who said so much without saying anything at all?