Chapter 2: Awake

Abruptly I wake from my bed and frantically look around my surprisingly clean room. Ugh, my head hurts. "How long have I been out?" I mutter to myself as the agonising headache subsides. I must've crawled in after... After I tore through those people. I wonder what happened after that.

"Sweety! You're gonna be late for school, hurry the fruit up if you don't wanna be late." Kelly calls from downstairs.

"Sure, I'll be right down!" I respond in high volume. Wait did she substitute the f-word with fruit? I swear I'll never truly understand what goes on in my aunt's head.

I take a quick-brushing-my-teeth-whilst-taking-a-shower combo. Using the water from above to rinse off both my body and my mouth. It's a life hack for when you're really late. By the time I go downstairs I've only used up fifteen minutes, which means I can still catch the bus.

"I packed your lunch and put it in your bag, also I'm not going to be home today so the diner is closed. I left the spare key in the birdhouse outside. I'll see you later sweety. I love you." Kelly reports as she kisses my left cheek and hurriedly makes for the front door.

"Love you too Kelly. I'm probably gonna have a few friends over as usual so I'll be occupied. No worries." I respond but she's already halfway down the porch. Maybe she's got business deal meetings again. Well, regardless I hope that her endeavours go well. She deserves it.

If I had been five minutes late I would have missed the bus but luckily I make it just in time. I pass by a few seats and to my left, I see my best friend Max. We have been friends since kindergarten, she's been my rock through some pretty trying times. Never have I ever seen someone throw a right hook as well as she can. She's just... The most awesome person you can ever be friends with.

"Hey turd, I saved you a seat, as usual." Max gestures to the seat beside her with a giggly smile.

"Is that Frenzy? The new fighting game on every platform. You already have it? It came out Friday, how?" I ask dumbfounded as I peek into her phone. Recently some new company had released new game technology phones and consoles designed to play the same games. This was done to avoid mobile gamers from missing out on experiences like graphics etc. I can't believe she already has one of their phones and the new game.

"I also bought the next-gen gamethread too. I'm a lucky girl." She exclaims teasingly with a subtle show-off. She's basically rubbing the fact that she's making a lot of money. Her family might be rich but she doesn't show off about that. Instead, she always works her but off to earn most things. It's one of the qualities I admire about her. "My YouTube channel took off and Next Gen sent free merch to advertise and do walk-throughs on so I'm excited. I hit three million subscribers last month too so that's a plus."

"Wow, that's awesome. Congrats Max, I'm still struggling with my book writing so I'll probably catch up with you in a couple of years." I respond while gently punching her.

"I'll be waiting Turd. In the meantime, after we turn eighteen. How about you live with me and I could also provide free advertising on my channel once it's complete?"

"Sounds like a plan. It's gonna be a continuous sleepover. Just please don't bring too many girls around." Max has a habit of being able to score any girl she wants. It's also another thing that annoys me about her. I got really lucky when I got together with Carol. But for Max, girls just fall for her easy peasy.

"I make no promises." She responds as the bus finally arrives at school.

I've been going to Oakwood High for the past year now. I've finally begun my fourth year and at age sixteen, I'm doing pretty good. Max and I head over inside the building.