12. we meet again

Penny hadn't known that Anne had invited her over for tea until Monday.

Apparently, Anne had gone to the front door only to be told by Penny's father that the girl was busy.

Stay away from that rat.

"Uh, yes," Penny nodded, rubbing her stuffed nose with a handkerchief. Her father hadn't wanted her to be friends with Anne, so perhaps that is what angered him enough to make her sleep in the cold barn as the winter chill set in, "I was engrossed in my chores,"

The tea had been a disaster, Anne had nearly begun crying as she told Penny the tale, she had chosen the wrong bottle and intoxicated both herself and Diana and that was why their usual trio had been brought down to two on the walk that morning.

"You seem awful quiet today, Penny, are you alright?" Anne had asked despite her downhearted mood.

Penny simply nodded, not trusting herself to hide the noises of pain she wanted to make as she recovered from harsh fall to the ground that previous Friday. Any previous will to be daring vanished the moment her father set foot in Avonlea, and Penny could only hope that her new friends wouldn't abandon her for it.

As class began, Mr. Phillips showed no mercy to Anne.

"You are not to fraternize, or exert undue influence," He spoke sternly, "Ruby, switch places with Anne,"

Ruby looked at Penny with wide eyes as she stood slowly and switched seats with Anne, who sat beside Penny solemnly.

As they settled into class, Penny noticed quickly that Gilbert Blythe had not attended school that day and couldn't help but think the worst as she sunk into her seat.

Her wonder made the day move as slowly as it could, and the lack of one Gilbert Blythe meant her lunch was even more dismal than usual. Anne had sat beside her, having once again been shunned from the others but the red haired girl ate slowly and her eye glistened with previously dropped tears. Assumingly, from when she and Diana had run off briefly and returned deeply saddened.

Mr. Phillips, however, didn't seem to notice this as he called out to the small blonde girl.

"Penelope Sullivan,"

"Yes, sir?" Penny closed her book and stood to rise, her voice slightly hoarse with a cold.

"Take these lessons to Gilbert Blythe," He noted boredly, placing some papers into the front of the book and closing it as his feet stretched across the desk.

"Now, sir? It's lunch..." Penny tilted her head in confusion, before straightening up quickly, realizing she had unintentionally spoke back to the teacher.

"Better sooner than later, he'll be missing class for a time, and I don't want him falling too far behind. He's my best student," Mr. Philips held out the books to her, "You've already finished eating and we'll be working on calligraphy after lunch, you've got the best penmanship in class, you're expendable,"

He doesn't think you deserve to learn. He's thinks you're dumb. Dumb and weak.

Anne scoffed behind her at the 'best student' remark but Penny simply nodded and took the books from Mr. Phillips hands.

"But be quick about it, no dallying or I'll be sending word home,"

"Of course, sir," Penny nodded rapidly, turning on her heel and rushing from the building.

And with a lazy wave of dismissal, Penny strode hurriedly to the back of the room to slide on her coat and hat before rushing outside into the snowy ground.