11: don't cry

"He keeps sending me weird glances," Piper whispered to me during class, "What do I do?!"

"Ignore him, Piper," I told her, "If he does anything more, we'll tell the teachers."

"Annabeth, sh- should I go talk to him? Ask him to stay away."

I placed my pen down, "Are you sure you're comfortable with doing this? Do you need-- me to help you?"

"No way, Annabeth, I can't ask you to--"

"Piper," I said sternly, cupping her face, "You're my best friend, friends help each other, just tell me when you don't want to do something, I'll do it for you."

"Are you sure? I don't want to trouble you anymore."

"Yeah, I'll go talk to him after class, I'll tell him."

Piper hugged me in an awkward position, I patted her back, "There, let's focus in class, shall we?"

After quite some time, the bell rang and the teacher left the class, Jason was sitting at the front packing his belongings.

Piper held my hand protectively, "Annabeth-- Do--don't be mean."

"I got it, Piper, stay here."

I walked up to Jason and he frowned, "What do you want?"

"Jason," I began, "Please leave Piper alone."

I could see Jason's eyes dart across the room to Piper, "Did she ask you to do this?"

"No, I volunteered myself, I need you to stop--"

"Stop?! Stop what? You should stop snooping into other people's business, Chase."

"I just need you to stop bothering her, shooting her looks, following her, and stalking her apartment, you've gone too far, Grace."

He seemed to scowl at his last name, "If Piper really mean it, she would have the balls to talk to me herself."

"If you want her back, I'm gonna tell you that she doesn't want you anymore, it's been already 2 years."

"Stop f*cking interfering, asshole."

"You don't talk to me like that!"

"What about it? Huh? You're just a pussy lonely nerd that wants a relationship yourself."

I swung my right hand spontaneously, slapping him on his cheek. I didn't mean to do it, but I wasn't agitated that he was rude, it was because whatever he said was actually true.

His hand covered his cheek defensively, "What the hell, man!"

I didn't say anything.

"Stupid bitch! Go around slapping guys 'for your friends', you're no better than me."

He raised his hand, I winced, thinking he was going to slap me back, but someone held his arm back, it was then I realized that it was Piper, "Please..." she pleaded, "Stop.."

Jason pulled his hand away aggressively, "Now there's the victim, and I'm suddenly the assailant. You're the same as everyone else, selfish and proud."

He dragged his bag behind him and he left the classroom, stomping away then slamming the door so hard it pointed inwards.

He left us alone, in the classroom, silence.

"Why did you do that..." Piper whispered, her voice lower.

"I-I don't know, I---"

"Why did you slap him!?" she screamed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

It was like that time...2 years ago, heartbroken.

"Piper... I-I'm sorry."

"I to-ld you not to be me-an to him," she sobbed, her arms covering her eyes.

"I didn't mean to--"

"Saying so-rry doesn't sol-ve it all, I trust-ed you, Annabeth."

"Don't cry, please, I hate seeing you like that."

She walked off, "Please, just--leave me alone for once."

I watched as she left the room, sobbing, crying, I didn't stop her, she didn't want me to.