12: empty

For the first time in a while, I sat alone at the lunch table, without Piper's constant voice and giggles, I never felt so empty. My best friend is sad, and I'm the cause.

I ate my food as fast as I could, I hate being seen alone. I hate how people look at me and pity me, I needed Piper.

I threw away the rest of my lunch and headed to the toilet, on the way there I bumped into someone. That vivid smell of the sea overwhelmed my senses, "Hey, Annabeth, sorry there." Percy apologized, his hand on his nape.

"O-oh I'm sorry too, by the way did you happen to see...Piper?"

"Piper? I saw her running out of class crying just now, what happened?"

"Long story," I sighed, "I'm worried."

From afar, Frank Zhang waved at him, "Yo, bro. Come quick!"

"Alright, see ya," Percy said to me, running off to his best friend.

I wonder if Percy likes Frank... That's not possible, right?

I jogged to the toilet, "Piper?" I called out, "Are you in here?"

I didn't get an answer. But my guts tells me that she's inside, I knew she was inside somehow.

"I'm really sorry, Piper. Please come out."

Sniffs were heard from the last cubicle, I leaned on the door, "Please, listen, I didn't mean to slap Jason. I was-- i was mad that he was right. Piper.... I'm really a loser nerd that wants to get a boyfriend but is scared of getting hurt. I want to be like you, I want to be able to feel, have the strength to spit it out. You're my best friend, Piper, I need you."

I could hear the latch of the door slowly creaking open and Piper embraced me in a hug, "I want to be able to think before I do stuff, " she cried, 'I want to be less reckless and less sensitive, I'm a mess, Annabeth. I only cause trouble."

"That's not true, even if it was, I like you being a mess."

"Annabeth..."

"Yes?"

"Do you think I should confess to percy?"

"What?"

"If he agrees, he might be able to chase Jason away."

I pushed her away to look at her face, "Seriously? After you get your heart broken?"

"It's only a yes or a no. There's no harm, I just want to get this over with."

"Are you- are you sure though? Are you perfectly sure that you have feelings for him?"

"Do you doubt it?" she sniffed.

"No-! I just don't want to get your heart broken again."

"It's a leap of faith, Annabeth. And the person you like? You should approach him too, don't be afraid, just trust yourself."

that's easy for you to say

"Are you going to do it now?"

"Yes, I think."

I could see Percy from afar, chatting with Frank, "Go," I gave her a slight push, "Go get your man."

I stood there as she strolled down the hall, confessing her love to the guy I loved all my life, I stood not chance against Piper, my perfect flawless best friend.

I turned around and tapped my foot nervously, I'm not going to look, I'm not going to peek, I want my best friend to be happy, but I want myself to be loved too.

A minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes.

A hand clasped over my shoulder, Piper was smiling, oh no.

"He rejected me," she announced, "He said he liked someone else."

"What? No Piper, I'm sorry."

"God! Just stop apologising," she laughed, "I'm fine!"

He rejected her, I felt happy and guilty at the same time.

"Let's go eat something nice," I dragged her out, "we still have some time left."

"Let's go," she agreed.

Rejection never felt so satisfying.