T h r e e

━━━━━

Word Travels

━━━━━

Alaska inclined forward and fastened her skates, the lockers surrounding her awfully reminding her of all the high school movies she had previously seen, a time period she never quite got to experience seeing as she took part in an online school for her entire life. Frankly, the girl was alright with not going to school and experiencing her teenage years the same way others did, for the skating rink was as overflowed with drama as any other school she had heard of, and she had received most of her social fulfillment from the rink, just as any other teen her age did in a public school.

"So, if you're not going to start a conversation, I will. What's your name? Where are you from? Why do you look like you just got punched in the face by life? All that stuff" The mysterious voice spoke as Alaska turned her head aside to meet a fellow skater who had taken the spot beside her on the bench. The two had been there for a while, assembling themselves for the training session to come. Silence loomed between the two at first, Alaska not having much aim to start a discussion, mostly because her mind had wandered far away from the space she stayed in throughout her trustful routine that she had grown so accustomed to following each early morning. 

"I'm Alaska, and no, I'm not from there" The girl figured she'd emend her introduction to avoid the use of the foolish joke she had received so many times in her life "I'm from Montana".

"Where in Montana"? The dark haired skater mumbled as she pulled her hair up in a bun, sending an occasional, curious glance to the brunette.

"Missoula" Alaska mumbled with confidence, though couldn't hide the shakiness that overtook her throat, the one that feared that perhaps someone knew who she was, and what she was related to. 

"Oh, didn't that tragic incident with the figure skater happen there"? The other spoke in return, as though attempting to recall the details of the event, but failing to do so. Alaska, on the other hand, felt her heart skip a bit, as though knowing her identity could be compromised any moment, and not feeling like explaining everything to the girl. 

"I don't know, it's much bigger than Sun Valley" The brunette shrugged her shoulders, ridding of the topic as quickly as it appeared in the horizon.

"Well, I'm Jenn. It's nice to meet you" The dark haired girl mumbled as she offered her hand for Alaska to take, which she accepted, the two shaking their hands gleefully, smiles spreading across their faces simultaneously "Wait, just so we're clear, what's your discipline? I'm not befriending an enemy I'm gonna see in competitions, am I"? Jenn carried on sarcastically, signaling to the girl with her gaze that even if they were apart of the same discipline, it wouldn't come in between their relationship.

"I'm a pair skater" Alaska announced, before letting out a sigh at the realization "Without a pair. I'm not really anyone's competition right now" It felt weird for the girl, to admit to herself that she was truly without a partner. She had been so used to training with one, and the idea of going on a search for a new one seemed all too odd for her. Alaska couldn't quite imagine herself skating with someone else, but knew that eventually, it was something she would have to deal with.

"And what's the story behind your loneliness? Where's your old partner"? Jenn raised a question inquisitivily as she picked up her water bottle and took a sip. She found herself more invested in the strange newcomer than any other, and she couldn't quite explain why.