Honest mistake

It all started on a normal saturday afternoon in the middle of April. When I woke up that day I would never guess that this is the day that will change my life. I started the day as usual with a simple breakfast that I ate with my sister Megan. Our parents were away for one of their work trips. They traveled a lot and we got used to it. Still, the house was a little empty with just me and Megan and it would be like this for another four months at least. Days were getting hotter and hotter and I knew that at some point I will have to go to the mall to get some new clothes for the summer. I hated that because I had to go there with Megan, cause she kept all the money as my big sister. I knew that as every time she would try to enforce me to try some clothes totally out of my style. And today, was the day of my periodic torture. I was walking with her to the mall.

- Mike, don't make such a sad face, it will be fun

- I doubt it..

- Look bro, you really have to change something in your wardrobe, just please let the shopping lady advise you something.

- I don't know what's wrong with my dressing style?

- Well you look kind of a slob in this hoodie and worn off trousers

- They are comfortable

- Maybe, but you are short, not very masculine and that long hair definitely isn't helping. You won't find any girlfriend with that look. You need to express yourself better.

Every time we were going shopping together she was making a speech like that. It was really annoying. I guessed that I would have to handle it as usual. Try some of the clothes that she or the clerk will suggest, brag about all of them, and finally after some time she will give up and allow me to buy the clothes that I like.

- Fine, let's have it your way.

- And you promise that you at least try everything that she'll show you?

I walked in silence for few second but she kept staring at me

- Ok.. I promise

We entered the shop with quite a collection of clothes. On the left there was mans section and on the right there was a much larger womans section. At the center just behind the door there was a register behind which stood a really cute girl with long blond hair and a really gorgeous figure. She was wearing red clerks uniform.

- Hi, can I help you? - she asked with a friendly smile. After few seconds of silence my sister looked at me and said

- Well...

I sighed

- My sister believes that I should change something in my look and I would like to ask you to advise me - I said while rolling my eyes

- Oh sure, no problem.. hmm.. let me think - she said while examining me from head to toes - oh yeah I have an Idea.

She went for a second to the back and returned with a flowing red jersey dress with a floral print in her hands.

- I'm sure that what you need is to express your femininity more and spring is the best time of year to do that. I bet that wouldn't be your normal choice, but trust me it will be change for the better.

For a few seconds I was so confused that I couldn't say any word. Oh... my... God.... Not this again. Because of my ear length hair, and not so masculine appearance I was many times mistaken for a girl, but it never was so direct. Sometimes someone calls me "miss" on the street, sometimes someone holds the door for me. But this was just too much. I stood there in front of her, talked to her for a while and she still thought I was a girl. My sister got over her confusion before me and started to laugh really hard.

- It's something wrong? - the clerk asked

- No no, -my sister said trying to stop her laughter - It's just I told her the same thing few minutes ago I'm just glad that you share my opinion, maybe now I'll convince her to do something about it

She started to laugh even harder. I never was so humiliated, but I was still in shock and couldn't say anything. The clerk was a little confused with my sister's behaviour, but even that didn't give her a clue that she may be wrong assuming my gender. She even decided that she should push a little harder to convince me.

- Would you like to try it? - she said while handing the dress over to me - trust me, you will look great in it

My sister was laughing harder and harder and I felt how my face became red as a fire engine. I couldn't say anything. I just wanted to run away. So after a short hesitation I turned around and ran outside the shop. I was hearing my sister shouting from the distance

- Oh comone sis, you promised that you'll try everything that the clerk will suggest you!

I didn't look back, I left my sister in the store and went home.