Chapter 5

f i v e

----

“Get up before I kick your ass!”

Well, good morning to you too, mother.

I groaned, rolling over and shooting my creator a sleepy glare. “Mom, it’s,” I checked the time on my phone, “seven in the morning on a Saturday. Why the hell are you waking me up?”

“Watch your tone with me, young lady,” Mom scolded, sneering at me. I scoffed, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. With a clearer vision, I smiled sweetly at her.

“I am ever so sorry, dear mother. What is thy reason to awaken me from my slumber at such an ungodly hour?” Mom gave me a fake smile of her own.

“Sarcasm; cute, but it gets you nowhere. You need to go rake the leaves; the yard is a complete mess.” I shot her a disbelieving look.

“The leaves couldn’t have waited two hours? Or, I don’t know, you couldn’t have raked them?”

“No,” she deadpanned. She began walking out of the room, her heels luckily silenced by my carpet. “Hop to it!” I groaned loudly, causing her to laugh.

Bitchface.

I glanced at my phone again, tapping the weather app. Fortunately, it wasn’t too cold today, which was surprising since temperatures had been going down lately.

Opening my closet, I looked for some comfortable clothes. I grabbed my blue hoodie from Brandy Melville and my white converse from the top shelf. Opening my dresser drawer, I grabbed my black jogger pants and some socks. I quickly changed into my clothes, throwing my hair into a high pony tail and adding a black bandana. After brushing my teeth, I went down to the kitchen.

I made myself a bowl of Fruit Loops and scrolled through Instagram on my phone while I ate. Audrey walked in with her hair in a messy bun and her expensive silk pajamas. She scoffed at my bowl of cereal while pulling out her Special K.

“Really, Fruit Loops? How old are you, five?” she questioned. Ignoring her, I put my bowl in the sink and jogged out the front door. Popping my headphones into my ears, I turned on Taylor Swift’s new album 1989. My favorite song from the album, Style, started flowing through my ears.

The rake sat abandoned in the shed. I grabbed it and began working.

“You’ve got that James Dean daydream look in your eyes, and I got that red lip classic thing that you like,” I sang along with the song, dancing as I raked.

I half-raked half-danced through the entire album.

I almost didn’t notice the person leaning against my tree, smirking at me. I pulled out my headphones and gave him a blank look.

“You’re hurting my tree,” I commented. He chuckled, patting the tree.

“Sorry tree.” Smiling, he moved closer.

“Hi, Loe,” Tyler said, grinning boyishly. I rolled my eyes and returned his smile.

“Hello, Lee.” Tyler quirked his eyebrow, scoffing at the nickname

“Lee? That’s the best you could come up with?”

“Hey, it’s better than Ty, which was my first choice,” I argued.  

He nodded, “True, everyone calls me that. I’m starting to get sick of it.”

“How about we just go back to calling each other our normal names, okay?” He gave a small ‘ok’ in agreement. “Besides, nicknames are so overrated.”