Chapter 9

Valkyrie was now racing back to the kingdom on Sven's back. Thor was sitting sideways on the reindeer, leaning against the harvester, trying to keep his eyes open. His hair was fully white now, and Valkyrie had put her hat on his head to try and help warm him. Olaf was sliding down the snowy slopes beside them, keeping up swiftly.

"Get to the palace!" Valkyrie shouted at the snowman, "And try not to be spotted!" Olaf shouted something back to her before hitting a bump in the snow which changed his direction, leading him into the village. Screams were heard from the startled townsfolk, and Valkyrie rolled her eyes as she raced faster to the palace. When she reached the gates, she hopped off Sven, banging on the massive iron doors. They opened after a moment, and she helped Thor off of Sven, giving him to the maids that were there.

"Prince! Oh thank goodness you're okay!" they started to take him into the palace as the doors shut, leaving Valkyrie outside. She stood there for a moment before sighing, hopping back onto Sven.

"Come on, boy," she said, "He's safe now. Let's get back to the mountains." Sven made a sad noise, but obliged, slowly walking back to the mountains.

The maids led Thor into a warm study in the palace, sitting him in front of a fire. They gave him blankets and tea, and the door burst open after a moment, Jane standing there with a very worried expression.

"Oh Thor! You're okay, thank goodness!" she ran to him, sitting beside him. The maids smiled, exiting and closing the door. The prince turned to her, shivering.

"Jane, I went to see my brother. He won't come home." a look of surprise crossed her features.

"What? Why?"

"He believes he is safer in the mountains. But right now, we have a bigger problem to deal with. He hit me in the heart with ice, and now I'm slowly freezing to death."

"Oh no..."

"It can only be removed by an act of true love. And I know you think that we should kiss, but Jane... I've come to realize I don't love you. I love someone else. And I need to get to the mountains to find him." Jane's eyes widened, but not out of shock, out of interest.

"Well this is just too perfect!" she said, standing up and laughing.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh you little naive prince. You really couldn't see that I was using you?" she chuckled, using a pitcher of water to pour over the fire, extinguishing it. "I was planning to kill you after we were married, but this is a perfect accident! Now all that's left to do is kill your brother, and that'll be that." she took the cup from Thor's hands, tossing it onto the smoldering wood. He narrowed his eyes at her, still shivering.

"You're no match for Loki," he said as he collapsed, trying to stand again.

"No. You're no match for Loki," Jane said, smirking and taking out her sword, examining it. "I, on the other hand, am going to save Asgard from destruction." she exited, closing the door and locking it, leaving Thor to freeze. Thor crawled to the door, trying to open it to no avail. He pulled the blanket around him further as he slumped to the floor, silently praying someone would find him.

Jane had gone to the room where the court was waiting, a look of grief across her features. The court looked at her expectantly as she sat down, her head on her hands.

"Princess?" one of them asked.

"Prince Thor is... dead," she said, rubbing her eyes as the court gasped. "He said his heart was frozen... by King Loki."

"Killed by his own brother..." someone muttered.

"Your highness, with the prince gone and the king on a rampage, Asgard looks to you for guidance." Jane looked up, anger now across her face.

"The actions he has done are unforgivable. He killed my beloved, and froze the kingdom." she sighed. "It is with a heavy heart that I sentence King Loki to death." the court looked around at each other and nodded.

"The court agrees. He shall be brought before the kingdom to be executed." they then went down to the dungeon to get the king, but found the door frozen over. They kicked it down and found the wall torn open, the cuffs were broken and the cold wind blowing in. Jane knelt next to one of the cuffs, picking up the frozen metal and turning it in her hand, looking out at the wasteland with an angry expression.

"Find him," she ordered, and the court ran out into the storm, Jane following close behind.

Ooooof

-Grace ♥️