Chapter Fifteen

Trigger warning(s): pain, sedation

Grian heard the door behind him open and the clicking soles of two pairs of shoes. He grinned.

Show time.

"Heeeey!" He cooed, straining his neck to see their faces. "Thank god someone's here! I was getting lonely"

The footsteps halted, and Grian assumed the two people were sharing a look.

Suddenly something cold met the nape of his neck and he shivered.

"What are you doing?!"

His question was answered immediately as scissors began to cut away at the white fabric, removing Grian's shirt and exposing the base of his wings.

"Aren't you going to buy me dinner first?" Grian teased, flexing the few muscles that he had.

He chuckled to himself, knowing how red Mumbo's face would be if he saw the brazen act he was putting on for his captors.

"What's wrong with this one?" one man said. He had a rather high pitched voice, but not in an annoying way. It was bright and cheery, as though the situation was amusing.

"I don't know" said the familiar voice. "The avian is a dying breed. Maybe this is why"

"Or you hit him too hard when you took him" the other scoffed.

"You did" Grian piped up, pouting even though they couldn't see him. "You need to be more careful. If you had missed your mark you could have ruined my pretty face"

The cheerful one laughed.

"I like this one! Can we keep him after the process?"

"No! Scar! Stay focused!" the familiar one said.

A thought occurred to Grian.

"Wait a second. Were you the one in the vex mask?"

"Me?" Scar asked.

"No, your angry friend"

There was silence for a moment before the familiar one gave a low throaty chuckle.

"I wasn't aware that my voice was so discernible"

Grian felt his flirty, annoying facade fade as panic clouded his mind

"What did you do to my friends?"

"I swore I wouldn't hurt them, and I didn't" the Vex snarled. "I just took you and the girl, and let the other idiots go"

"You took... where is Stress?!" He felt anxiety rise in his chest.

"Stress? Oh you mean your pretty Keeper? Is that her name?"

Grian could hear  him smirking.

"Don't worry" Scar said soothingly. "Your Keeper is perfectly safe. She will be joining my team of healers once she has recovered her strength"

He sounded as though he were trying to calm a dog, but Grian had no choice but to trust him. Besides, he had other questions.

"My Keeper?"

"Do your kind prefer the term owner?"

"Owner?!"

"I'm sorry! I don't know what you prefer-"

"Scar, don't argue with animals" the Vex said, cutting into his misplaced apology.

"Sorry Cub. You're right"