Chapter 2: Introduction to Wizarding Law

After the meeting in the pub, Harry went back to work with a heavy heart and a list of things that he couldn’t eat for Dinky. As he sat down, he looked over to the empty desk of his friend and wondered how he was going to face him in the light of what he knew. He squared his shoulders and decided to just get through the day. When Ron did finally make it back from his one and a half hour of lunch break, Harry had enough of a resolve to act relatively normal.

Still, he was glad when six o’clock rolled around and he could bid goodbye. He hurried to Floo to the school and pick up the boys, and then they went on to gather Lily. She took his mind off of Ron for a while as she told her father everything of a story about a brave man saving a dragon only to be rescued later on by the aforementioned dragon, which she heard that day at pre-school. Even the boys seemed to be interested as they stayed to listen to the end even when they arrived to their living room.

Once the story ended, they all went on their way. James ran up to his room to do his homework quickly. Al went after him, but slowly enough to keep on reading his book from that morning. He had very little homework and what he did have, he usually did during the breaks between classes. Lily skipped upstairs, proclaiming loudly that she would draw pictures based on the story. Harry called after her to make sure that she would show them to him later. Dinky appeared in front of Harry, asking him about dinner, so he gave the elf the parchment with the list and asked him to prepare something light with the remaining food.

Once the elf had disappeared, Harry sat down on his ornate couch, a piece Ginny insisted on, and waited for Ron to appear. He was sure that once Hermione told the redhead the bad news, he would immediately Floo Harry. He was debating whether to tell Ron about knowing of the situation before he did, but he knew that he was a terrible liar and it would be no use trying to hide things from his best friend. So when the flames changed to green and a disgruntled redhead stepped through, he was prepared.

“You knew,” the tall man said by way of a greeting.

“Hermione told me over lunch today,” he admitted.

“Did she tell you why?” he asked, sitting down on the couch, trying to get comfortable on the furniture. It was more like those pieces that were meant to look good, not feel relaxing. Ron glared at the thing, probably wondering why anyone would have it in their living-room. The second-hand furniture in his living room may have been a little ugly and had seen lots of use, but was very comfortable.

“Of course.”

“What did she tell you?”

“That she wasn’t happy anymore and wanted to become a healer. Something which you didn’t support. She was also troubled by your attitude towards her desire not to have more kids,” Harry summed up.

Then Ron frowned at him in disbelief.

“Load of bollocks. She’s cheating on me with someone,” he said with conviction.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked. “She’s not the type.”

“Of course I’m sure!” Ron stood up and started pacing in front of the fireplace. “Of course you don’t know anything about dating, Harry, but a woman never leaves a man unless she already has someone lined up. The whore. If our kids didn’t have red hair, I would demand paternity tests on them.”

Harry was taken aback by the vehemence in Ron’s speech. He didn’t sound like the care-free, happy person he knew.

“It’s good though. She has no idea what divorce means in the Wizarding world. I can have the kids taken from her and she would never see them again,” he spoke, shaking his right fist. “If she wants to see them again, she’ll have to come crawling back to me and ready to bear me more kids. Did you know that Fleur is expecting her third?” he asked, rounding on Harry, who shook his head. “I will not be beaten by any of my brothers. I’ll have the most children and make my parents proud.” He straightened and stopped his pacing as he said this.