Chapter 3: Consequences of a Decision

The next day, Harry went to work with a distinct feeling of dread. By now, Ron probably knew that Harry had taken Hermione in and he was not known for dealing well. As he stepped inside the office, he scanned the area for the familiar redhead. Ron was nowhere to be seen, so with a sigh, he made his way to his own desk, edging around that of others’. He barely sat down on his chair, when he heard the voice of his boss, who demanded that he join him in his office. Harry cringed and scanned his mind for things he could have done to warrant such a treatment, but he couldn’t think of anything.

He entered the office and noticed Ron sitting in one of the chairs in front of the desk. Greer Stewart, Head of the Auror Department, was an imposing figure with his flaming red hair, light-green eyes and not to mention his build. The budget didn’t allow for large desks and his was as small as any of the desks outside. Therefore, his already bulky Scottish form was made larger in contrast. He was currently looking with a frown at Ron, who was apparently trying to appear brave in spite of the stare. Harry admitted that it must have been a difficult thing to do. In his Auror days Greer had been known as a fierce interrogator. All they had to do was put him in a room with a suspect and without saying a word, he would have the guy spilling his guts out in thirty minutes. Harry quickly sat in the other chair, hoping that the stare would not be directed at him as well.

“Mr. Stewart, what is this about?” he asked, wanting to break the uncomfortable silence.

“Weasley here is requesting a new partner. He says his reason is that you’re sleeping with his wife, Potter.” Harry shifted in his seat at the accusation. “You know I don’t tolerate any disruptions in the lives of my Aurors. I find their work suffers and that is when people get killed.” At that moment he seemed to have finished glaring at Ron, so he turned instead towards Harry, who tried to not flinch. “So, I called you here to work this out.”

“Sir, I can assure you that I’m not involved with Ron’s wife,” Harry said, trying not to sweat. He had the sudden urge to speak without pause and reveal anything the man wanted. If Greer had asked about Horcruxes, Harry would have told him everything.

“Then what is this about?” Greer’s voice rang out like thunder in the Highlands.

“You see, sir, Hermione, Ron’s wife, wants to divorce him. He threw her out of the house because of it and I took her in. She’s my friend too and has no one, so I can’t stand by and watch her struggle on her own. I want to help her.”

“Help her?” Greer interrupted Harry. “Why would you do that? Potter, have you not studied Wizarding Law any more extensively than what was in your training?” he questioned the young man in front of him, who just shook his head. Greer frowned at his response. “Potter, it is the responsibility of an Auror to be fully aware of the law and its intent as well. It states that a wife wanting to divorce her husband can be made to leave his property as soon as her intent is made known towards her spouse.”

“But sir,” Harry tried to interrupt.

“I’m not finished, Potter. The spirit of the law is to prevent wives from leaving their husbands. They are supposed to be out on the street, Knutless and friendless. If they are left alone, they will return to their husbands faster. Of course I can’t order you to revoke your invitation to Weasley’s wife, since the law doesn’t specifically state that you can’t take her in, but I am strongly suggesting.” Greer stared into those emerald-green eyes without blinking and Harry was tempted to give in; however, he couldn’t do that to Hermione.

“No, sir, I will not let my friend down,” he said, straightening his spine.

“Fine, Potter. Desk duty until further notice. Ron here will get another partner and you will be alone while you are on desk duty,” he sentenced Harry.