Chapter 13: Starting to Build

It had been some days since Harry had become a Dark Wizard. The Weasleys had not spoken to him since, which Harry had expected, but it still hurt. He wanted to pretend that it wasn’t so, but in the evenings he would look at old photo albums and reminisce. The sweetest memories were the ones not found among the moving photographs - the first time he entered the Burrow, the first time he felt home, there were no pictures taken then. That first morning sitting down at a family table that actually welcomed him - was it even real? Could they truly discard him so easily? He just couldn’t believe it. He hoped that some day they would look past his alliances and take him back. Draco had promised him that he would not be alone, but in the evening, in his sitting room with the kids upstairs in bed, he felt abandoned.

He set the Weasley album aside and his gaze fell on the white wedding scrapbook that Ginny had made. He opened it and the sights and sounds from that day rushed to him. There was a white ribbon from her hair, a napkin from their table and many pictures. He had been so happy that day. They were starting their lives together. It was the beginning of his true life, like The War had never happened. How wrong he had been. For him, the fight was just starting. Then there was Ginny. She had just packed up and left. She had hardly said two words after leaving the Ministry. Harry had to confess that he didn’t miss her. What he missed was the promise of his wedding day. They were supposed to walk down the road of life together, side by side as allies. The woman who was beside him was not the one he wanted to spend his life with that day. Or perhaps she was and he had changed? He couldn’t decide.

He forced himself to put away the albums and try to get some sleep. He slowly ascended the stairs up to his room and lay down in his great, lonely bed. He had been restless since the vote and hardly slept. The following day he would take the kids to Malfoy Manor for the first time. While they were supposed to play with Scorpius, the new Slythendor trio, as Draco called themselves the other day, would discuss the new family law they wanted to put through. Draco said that after they had a specific text they could bring in some influential people from among the Dark Families and present their ideas to them.

He had to catch some sleep, it was already 2am.

* * *

6am saw Harry out of his bed already. He had tossed and turned through most of the night. The changes to his life were weighing heavily on him and he suspected he couldn’t go on too much longer like that. He tried to read, but his mind couldn’t be occupied by the struggle of Katniss. The book was supposed to be a big hit in the Muggle world, but he just couldn’t pay attention to it.

He woke the kids up at 8am and they had breakfast together. All three children were soon dressed in some of their nicest clothes as Harry didn’t want them to feel frumpy next to the Malfoys. They Flooed straight to a welcoming chamber as they no longer had anything to hide. Once they emerged from the flames, they were greeted by the whole Malfoy family. Well, except for Astoria, who carefully seemed to avoid everyone else. Hermione was also waiting for them. The kids gleefully attacked their Aunt Hermione and she hugged them to herself with a huge grin on her face. Harry was a bit afraid that the Malfoys would be annoyed by the breach of protocol, but as he looked at them, they were all smiles.

“Children, let your aunt go for a bit, I want to introduce you to the Malfoys,” Harry spoke up once he thought they had crowded their aunt enough.

They let go and stood next to their father, ready to be introduced.

“Kids, this is the Malfoy family.” He walked to Lucius as he was the eldest. “This is Lucius Malfoy.” The tall man leaned down and kissed Lily’s hand, who giggled at the gesture. Then he shook hands with the boys, exchanging introductions.

After that, they moved onto the woman Harry hadn’t seen much of during his visits. He supposed he should have sought her out as she had been the woman to save his life.