Chapter 11: Christmas

Harry sat at the head of the table having breakfast and looked down at his wife. He had spent more time with her than ever before during their marriage. He had completely quit the Aurors and didn’t miss it at all but was busier than ever. Instead of a regular job, he went around the Wizengamot members and courted them, just like Draco told him to. He had become a politician. It wasn’t his chosen profession and he sincerely hoped he didn’t have to do it all his life. Ginny was always by his side and he didn’t even have to ask her. She enjoyed all the gatherings and dinners, which made her the perfect companion for his new job. Harry made sure that the men he meet saw him guide her at all times, asserting his authority. He didn’t take pleasure in any of it one bit, but he was getting better at pretending he did.

It was the end of November and on that day, they were scheduled to go Christmas shopping. The previous years they had not gone together. His wife was always at some remote location and only arrived home for Christmas Eve, laden with foreign gifts, so Harry bought his own. He was determined that the kids would not get any less though.

An hour later, Harry was strolling down Diagon Alley with his wife on his arm. He wasn’t all that sure what he was going to buy. Just like with most things, he liked to pick gifts out on the spot, no plan, just improvise. He would look in the windows and think about his children, thinking of whether they would like something from there. However, his wife had other ideas. She enthusiastically dragged him to the first shop she saw, which happened to be Quality Quidditch Supplies. She led him straight to the latest racing broom design and just stared at it. Harry got bored quickly. He still appreciated the broom, but he wasn’t as excited about Quidditch as he used to be. He still went to games with his children, though James was the only one who enjoyed them. Albus took a book to read and Lily something to colour and some papers to draw on. Harry had considered leaving the two younger ones at home, but he wanted it to be a family outing and hoped that they would catch on as well.

"Oh, Harry! I can't wait ‘til the kids are old enough to get brooms," she enthused and Harry nodded in agreement.

However, he didn't think it likely that Albus would want one.

He tried to look around to see if he could buy a present from the shop while his wife got in a lively conversation with the proprietor over the Nimbus Apocalypse. Apparently, the broom got its name from the Muggle belief that the world was going to end that year.

Harry found a toy Snitch and decided to get one for James as he often said that he wanted to follow in his parents' footsteps and become a Seeker just like them. He had completed his purchase, but Ginny was still engrossed in the conversation. He squared his shoulders and got ready to ascertain his authority as a proper husband. A month earlier, he would have just let her enjoy herself, but now he had to change.

"Ginny, if you're not going to buy anything, we need to go."

"But Harry!" she whined and he felt a bit better for dragging her away. He couldn't stand it when she used that tone of voice.

"Do you want to buy something or not?" he repeated and could not be dismissed.

"No," she admitted and let herself be dragged out.

They walked along the Alley arm-in-arm. A chilly wind swept through the street and Ginny cuddled closer. Harry looked down at her face and could see that she was still a bit cross with him. She wasn’t paying attention to him, as instead, she was eyeing the package in Harry's hand.

"You got something."

"Yes. A toy Snitch for James."

"He'll love that!" she exclaimed. "You forgot to have it gift wrapped. Anyway, I know what I want for Christmas. That new broom. It's great!"