chapter 2

I wake up early that morning. How could I sleep? Aster had crawled into my bed late last night so I'm afraid I'll wake him, but the sound of his heavy breathing sets me at ease. I grab my bow and my father's army jacket and leave the house, making sure that my steps are as quiet as possible. I make my way to the woods and sit in our spot. I know that Jack'll be here soon, so I lie down on the grass and wait. It's been no longer than about ten minutes when I hear the crunch of leaves behind me. I stand up and greet Jack, who still looks handsome even after an obvious restless sleep. He smiles sadly and wraps his arms around me. He holds me for a while, and I hold him back. After a little bit, I feel hot tears fall on my shoulders. I pull away from him and place my hands on his face, wiping his tears away. I look into his eyes and say, "Everything's going to be okay. Everything's going to be okay." I find myself repeating the words, trying to believe them, but then I find myself crying so hard I'm choking the words out. He lays a soft finger on my lips, and I stop speaking. He places his hands on my cheeks and pulls my face closer to his, so close that our foreheads are touching.

"I love you," He whispers, and kisses me. I kiss him back passionately, and I feel a warm glow in my heart, and for a second I'm convinced that everything is going to be okay. But the horn that sounds the awakening of the First Hunger Games ruins the moment. We run out of the woods together to get ready for the Reaping. When I walk into the Veteran's Village, I find Aster, in his Reaping outfit, planting Primroses in the garden where my father did.

"What are you doing, Little Tiger?" I ask, bending down to his level on the ground.

"Father wanted me to plant them as a surprise for Mother, because Mother did all she could to save Aunt Primrose." He stands up and hugs me tight.

"Don't volunteer for me if I get reaped. Please," He says, his voice muffled in the leather of the army jacket.

"Same to you. Everything I do is for you. I love you, and I can't lose you."

"Is that true? Everything you've done has been for me? Not even for Jack, or Eve?"

"Not even for Jack, or Eve, Little Tiger. No, let's go inside and get you cleaned up."

* * *

I search through my wardrobe for something worthy of the Reaping, but all I can find is a black and red dress, so I grab that and put it on. A knock at my door startles me, and it swings open to reveal my mother in the doorway.

"You look beautiful," she says, and takes my hands. "You're going to be okay. if you're reaped, find allies as quickly as possible. Get to know the other reaped boy. And be careful." She kisses the top of my head, like she used to when I was little.

"We have to go. President Frindi will never forgive me if we're late."

She quickly puts my hair back in a bun and leads me out of my room.

* * *

"Ladies first!" President Amara Steelfeather sticks her hand into the glass bowl and pulls out a name. She quickly glances at my parents before yelling, "Tigerlily Everdeen."

I'm frozen in my place, holding Aster's hand. Aster takes my arms and stares into my eyes. He doesn't look like himself. His blonde hair is too perfect for Aster Everdeen standards. His dark eyes look sadder, and don't have his signature glint in them.

"Tigerlily Everdeen!" President Steelfeather barks, and I ruffle Aster's hair before slowly walking toward the podium. Steelfeather opens her arms and embraces me. She smells strongly of roses, but I'm used to this, because I've known her since I was a baby. She breaks away from me and slowly walks over to the other glass bowl.