chapter 3

"The President has made sure that your stay is comfortable." Effie Trinket leads us on a tour of the train, explaining in full detail the function of every room.

"Oh, shut up, will ya?" Haymitch takes a big, long sip from his flask. "I don't think they like listening to you ramble on about the functions of the garden." He turns to us. "Do you wanna learn about the functions of the garden?"

We both shook our heads. Effie seems offended by this, so she quickly changes the subject.

"Here are your rooms. At 6:13 PM sharp, the President will live broadcast the Tributes. If you need anything, just call for Saquiria."

"What's that?" Jack asks, looking around his room.

"Not a what, but a who. Saquiria Snow is going to be your Avox." Haymitch smiles oddly and runs off, leaving us momentarily alone with Effie.

"I thought the President got rid of the punishment of the Avoxes," I say to Effie. "And if she's an Avox just because she's Snow's grandchild, that's awful."

"We did get rid of the punishment of the Avoxes. They are just normal servants now. And no, Saquiria isn't just an Avox for being Snow's grandchild. She attempted to kill the staff of the Capitol. Including me." Effie shudders and turns away from us.

"Who wouldn't try to murder her?" Jack whispers to me, and I do my best to contain my laughter. Just then, Haymitch came back with a girl about 19 or 20. She had pale skin and a long black braid that ran down her back. She smiles at us sadly and says, "Welcome. I am your Avox, Saquiria Snow, and I will serve you in any way I can." She spins around swiftly and leaves the room.

* * *

"Why is it 6:13?" Jack asks Haymitch as we make our way to the large living room, where we're going to watch the live broadcast.

"I don't know. Frindi is obsessed with unusual time schedules. For example, breakfast will be open tomorrow at 6:47 am." Haymitch opens the door to the living room and beckons us inside.

"After you," he says casually. Jack and I reluctantly make our way through the door and sit together on the long couch.

"Good. You're early," Effie says, walking swiftly to us. "The broadcast starts in about three minutes. Get comfortable."

We sit in silence for those very long three minutes, both of us scared but slightly exited to see who we'll be up against.

"three, two, one," Effie says, and turns the lights out just as the broadcast starts playing.

"District One. Luxury. Mandolyn and Ryker Evensong. Rumor has it, Mandolyn was forced into volunteering by her parents. As for Ryker, he was reaped originally but no one volunteered for him," Haymitch reads off the broadcast. both Mandolyn and Ryker have pretty reddish-brown hair, and dark grey eyes. We've already got the first half of the careers covered. I make an Allie list in my head, and put Mandolyn at the top of it.

"District Two. Masonry. Candace Muncio and Seth Brinna. The last of the careers. Both seem pretty skilled with weapons, so we'll see how this goes."

Candace has long brown hair tied into a bun. her dark green eyes pierce the camera, as if she was ready to kill anyone watching. Seth, on the other hand, has curly blonde hair and brown eyes with gold tints. He looks like he's attempting to seem tough, when it's obvious he's scared on the inside.

"District Three. Technology. Tryla and Jayde Znathro. Their parents are Morphlings. It seems like they've been exposed to some of the stuff, too."