Chapter 11 - Free Man

Chapter 11

We made it into the Head's office within a few moments. 

I had picked up Dark's phone on the way through and looked over the damage. Bambi handed it to one of the girls that had come with us. She looked over it for a moment, slowly shaking her head. 

"The whole phone is busted, including the inside contents. It's beyond repair and nothing can be retrieved from the SIM card or the memory card, it's too badly damaged. I'm sorry, but it's all lost."

I sighed, shaking my head at the news. The video was lost, so all we could hope is that the evidence we had was enough.

Dunkin slammed Piers down into a chair in front of the Head's desk. Bambi and the group of girls followed in behind, Dark and I bringing up the rear, closing the door once we were in the room.

The Head glared at Dark, then pointed to a chair and ordered him to sit. We all waited in silence as the Head limped around behind his desk, leaning against it with one hand and rubbing his other hand across his face, sighing heavily.

"What happened?" He asked coolly, trying to contain his frustration.

Just as Piers began to talk, Bambi stepped up behind him and clamped her hand over his mouth, hissing: "Let Dunkin speak first..." 

Dunkin smiled, taking the folder full of records from one of the girls and slapping it down on the table in front of the Head. The Head sighed, staring at the papers for a moment before asking: "What is this?"

"Records from all the parties that happened in the last five years at all of the dorms," Dunkin began, "It's no secret that there have been many, many reported incidences of girls on campus being taken advantage of after those parties. They go to have a little harmless fun, get roofied, and are never the same after that. Wouldn't you like a name and a face to go with the person who has been causing this?"

The Head thought for a moment before nodding. He stood up straight, then turned his attention from Dunkin to Dark. 

"Yes, it would be nice. I assume you've found our guy?" He asked, glaring at Dark.

Everyone turned to look at Dark, who stared back at the Head, dumbfounded. I watched as his face once again melted into the sad, forever alone look. My heart hurt, almost like I could feel his shattering from the way the Head blamed him for the same thing everyone else had, without evidence or reasoning.

After a moment, the feeling of heartbreak inside of me shifted. From those cracks grew flames, and anger rose quickly in my throat. I stepped out from behind Dark and stood in front of the Head, glaring at him. I pointed to Piers, who still had Bambi's hand over his mouth.

"Piers is the one guilty of the crimes," I snapped, "Now, I recommend you sit your ass down on that fucking chair and hear out the right side of the story. I've HAD IT with people blaming Dark for things he didn't do just because of his looks. And, if you don't comply and listen to our side of the story, we will take the information we found to the authorities. When they go through it and discover the real culprit, I will be SURE to have them fire you for refusing to listen to someone just because of what they look like. And we wouldn't want that now, would we? It is, in fact, illegal to deny someone's side of the story just due to what you believe."

The whole room went silent except for the sound of a ticking clock on the wall. I held myself up straight, glaring at the Head, my upper lip twitching in anger. Despite his grouchy face because I challenged his authority, the Head limped over to his seat. He sat down with a heavy sigh, and turned his attention back to Dark, this time with a more appropriate expression.