The Other Side

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jax hung up the phone in his hand and looked at the others standing around the bar as Tara stepped up beside him. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. 

"Well, she knows. I just hope we did the right thing."

Bobby nodded from beside Chibs as Jessie sat at a table with Rocky and Pru. "She needed to know the truth. We did the right thing."

Jessie spoke up then. "What happens now?"

Jax shrugged. "We wait, I guess."

Tara frowned as Jessie sighed. "Surely one of us could talk to her, see how she's doing. I mean, obviously it would be too soon for it to be Jessie, but I feel like we're leaving her out on a ledge by herself after we pushed her there." She shrugged. "I work with her. It wouldn't be too strange for me to feel her out, see how she's doing."

Jessie nodded as Jax looked relieved. "Yes, please do, Tara. I don't want her to be alone right now."

Tara nodded, giving her a small smile as she picked her bag up from the bar. "I'll talk to her tomorrow. I'm pretty sure she was off today."

Bobby frowned and shook his head. "That's the best we can do?"

Jax lifted a brow. "Well, what would you suggest? We have a run to go on. Tomorrow will have to be good enough, man."

______________________________________________________________________________

The next day around noon, Tara walked into the cafeteria and saw Allison sitting by herself. She grabbed a sandwich and bottle of water before paying and walking over to her table. She smiled as she pointed to the chair across from the other woman.

"Mind if I join you?"

Allison shrugged as Tara sat her things down. "Sure, it's fine I suppose."

Tara grinned as she opened her sandwich. "You're new in town aren't you?" When Allison nodded, she continued. "How do you like Charming so far?"

Allison sighed and shrugged. "Honestly? Right now I'm wishing I'd never left Oakland." She held out a hand to Tara. "Allison Weaver."

Tara shook her hand and grinned. "Tara Knowles. It's great to meet you, Allison. Why do you wish you weren't here?"

Allison sighed and shook her head. "It's not that, really. I just... " She stopped and thought for a moment, a small frown on her face. "Do you ever feel like you're in a movie but you don't know the next scene coming up?" When Tara chuckled and nodded, so did Allison. "It's like that, I suppose. I thought I knew all of the actors in my movie, but now I'm suddenly faced with a whole new cast of characters that I know nothing about." She shrugged. "I don't suppose I'm making sense, but it is what it is."

Tara nodded. "I understand, believe me. I feel that way a lot of the time."

Allison nodded in agreement before looking down at her watch and wincing. "Oh, crap! I'm about to be late for Mrs. Wineburg's appointment. She's cranky under the best of circumstances." She stood up as Tara laughed. "It was nice meeting you, Tara. Perhaps we can do lunch again one day."

Tara nodded. "I'd like that, Allison."

She smiled until the other woman turned to walk away, then a frown replaced the smile. She sighed and shook her head as she watched Jessie's twin walk away. She thought that this might be a lot harder than Jax predicted.

_______________________________________________________________________________

A few hours later, Bobby stopped in front of an open doorway and knocked on the doorframe. He grinned when the woman at the desk lifted her head and frowned. 

"Oh! Hello. Do we have an appointment?"

Bobby shook his head and chuckled as he walked further into the office. "No, ma'am. I just stopped by to see if you had any more of that cream you gave me."

Allison looked at him for a moment before recognition dawned. "Oh! The shoulder!" She frowned slightly. "Is it still bothering you? If so, you should probably see a doctor."

Again, Bobby shook his head. "Nope, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it on hand if I did something to it again." Allison nodded as she stood up and moved to a shelf behind her desk. As she picked up a jar and turned to hand it to him, he lifted a brow. "You don't seem as happy as the last time I saw you, sunshine. You look like there's a lot going on behind those pretty eyes of yours."

Allison sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind." As she handed him the linament, she took a good look at him. He was attractive in a rugged way like life had tried unsuccessfully to knock him back but he kept coming anyway. She decided that she liked him, but then she remembered that he knew the woman everyone said she looked like. She bit her lip as she unconsciously took a step closer to him. "I wonder if you could... " She stopped, suddenly aware that she was about to tell a complete stranger about her problems as if he could solve them. She shook her head and gave him a small smile. "Nevermind." 

Bobby frowned and reached out to touch her arm, causing a jolt of static electricity to run up her arm. "If you need an ear to listen, I have two good ones, sunshine."

Allison smiled and nodded as she reached up and moved a lock of curly hair from his face. "I appreciate that, but I'm actually late for an appointment." She nodded to the jar in his hand. "I hope that works for you... " She chuckled and shook her head. "I don't even know your name."

He grinned as he backed up a step to turn to the door. "Bobby Munson, sunshine."

Allison nodded. "Bobby. I like it. I'm Allison or Ali."

Bobby shook his head as he reached the doorway. "I like sunshine better."

______________________________________________________________________________

Later that evening, Allison was stirring the pasta for dinner when she heard Ryder. "Mom?"

"Kitchen!"

Ryder walked into the kitchen and hopped up on the counter beside her mother, snatching a carrot from the colander. "So, I got asked to the movies today in History."

Allison lifted a brow. "Is that a good thing? Do we like this boy?"

Ryder rolled her eyes then grinned as she nodded. "Yeah, I do. Russ is pretty cool. And he's fine."

Allison shook her head and chuckled. "Well, you know the rules. I have to meet him and his parents before you can go out with him."

Ryder nodded as she stole another carrot. "I know, I already told him. It's just his dad but he's going to let me know when he's available."

Allison nodded. "Well, why don't you set the table for me?"

Ryder nodded as she hopped down from the counter and turned to grab plates. She turned back with a small frown. "Are you okay, mom? You don't seem as happy lately."

Allison nodded as she wrapped her arms around her daughter for a hug. "Yeah, baby. I'm good."