Chapter 1

The alarm sounded promptly at 7 AM. I effectively turn it off and sprint out of bed to the bathroom to take a shower. Nothing woke me up faster than a blaring alarm and water pouring down on me. As the water runs over me, I make sure to take advantage of the time and review my formulas for AP calculus. Every morning I made sure to review a specific problem I found online the night before on any subject of my choosing, to make it fun. Today, I go over the differential equation, making sure to use the example I wrote down last night on my bedside table. As captain of the math decathlon, I needed to always be prepared. By the time I finish and wrap the towel around me, I know the answer.

I run over to the table and flip over the paper, where I have the answer written in fine ink. A smile spreads on my face. "Yes," I shout and do a small happy dance, glad my answer was right but it's rarely wrong. I turn on my Cd player and listen to some upbeat music as I finish my morning routine. I go back into the bathroom and brush my teeth, making sure all my focus is on them. I hated the dentist, so it was better for me to take good care of my teeth and just go for an annual check-up where he would give me a lollipop and say I was doing fantastic- why do I keep going? The reason I kept going was that I liked to know I was doing a good job, even at brushing my teeth.

Once I finish, I stand in front of my closet and look through my wardrobe. I pick out a simple red pole, black skirt, red knee-high socks, and black flats. We didn't have an official uniform at SilverRiver, but that didn't mean I couldn't wear my clothes like we did. I give myself a glance at the mirror as I tuck in my skirt and make sure the small ruffles on my skirt are straight. I place my hands to the side and smile as they touch the end of the skirt; it was neither too long nor too short. I make sure my light brown hair is dry before putting it up in a tight ponytail. It manages to reach just below my shoulder blades, making me smile in contempt.

I looked around my room for anything out of place; it was painted white all throughout, there was a desk in one edge, a book-shelf in the other with small trophies, a bulletin board with a calendar and sticky notes filled up, my nightstand with a green lamp and the bulb still hot, and a small television on top of the drawer. I walk over to my bed and smooth out the covers filled with rose designs. I smile at my neat room and look over at my clock that marks 7:25. By the time I was done with everything, the house was empty. Both my parents woke up early to get my siblings, Kyle and Marcus, ready for school. My mom would drop off both of them and my father would pick them up from his brother's place after school. Since my cousins went to the same school as my brothers, my uncle offered to watch them while everyone was still at work or in my case- school.

I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab a granola bar, an orange, and a bottle of water as I make my way toward the bus station making sure to lock the house. The bus is parked in the corner as others board it. I loved riding the bus, it was one of my favorite moments in the day. It was the only 35 minutes out of the day I really dedicated my time to watching the town. The town I was born in and helped raise me. I put on classical music and look out the tiny window with such admiration, that I know I'll never get tired of it. I look at the houses of people I had met and those I didn't. The buildings, new ones being constructed as old ones demolished. I waved at the kids who waved first as they admired the big yellow bus filled with schools, knowing one day they would be riding it without their parents. It brings a smile to my face as I remember those times when I thought the world was so big and full of endless possibilities. Now, the world was still so big but I only had one thing in mind. School.

The bus makes a screech as the doors open. Kids quickly grab their stuff and rush out the door, in a hurry to get into the building. When I'm at the bottom of the stairs I look up and yell, "Thank you, Mr. Lancaster," to our driver as people push past me, clearly in a hurry to catch up with their friends. He waves at me and gives me a wide smile in return.