Unexpected Visitor

Zee P.O.V

"Actually, it's Ms. Gaines now." Bree's mother rose from her chair, and crossed the room . She kissed me once on each cheek. "Look at you! All grown up, now."

I stood in shock. I never thought I would see her again. Bree was in for a surprise when she woke up.

•-•-•-•

It was the Christmas break of eighth grade.

"You did what?" Bree's father's voice carried up the stairs to where five terrified girls were huddled.

"He was just about throwing himself at me!" Mrs. Rendon cried. "What was I supposed to do? Say no?"

"That's exactly what you were supposed to do," Mr. Rendon growled.

"He was so charming! And polite. But not a pushover like you!"

"He was twenty-five!"

"He's legal! Full of... youthful stamina." That was one of the things Mrs. Rendon would say-attempted, and horribly failed, elegance.

I heard a crash. "That was a hand blown, one of a kind, glass Christmas ornament from Italy!" Shrieked Mrs. Rendon.

"That's what you worry about? Not the fact that you're pregnant with another man's baby!"

I felt Bree's nails dig into the soft flesh of my wrist. I looked over and saw tears streaming down her face. Chelsea wrapped her in a hug.

"We can say it's yours! Aubrey will love a sibling!" Bree's mother sighed. "We are getting so off track. I love you and Aubrey, and that's what matters."

"You never really loved our family, did you? You loved the idea of a family!" Bree's body was shaking.

Her father's voice was quieter, and we all had to strain to hear. "Maybe you should leave."

"Leave?" She shrieked. Bree let out a tiny cry. Ash nudged her and put a finger to her lips.

"Fine," said Mrs. Rendon. She stormed up the stairs, and came face to face with us. "Girls?"

•-•-•-•

Back in the present, I remembered how much Bree hated her mother. How we didn't mention her. And how she was here right now.

"I think I need to step outside," I said, stumbling out into the hallway, fumbling with my phone and composing an awkward text to Chels.

•-•-•-•

To: Chelsea <33

guess whos here

From: Chelsea <33

idk who? :P

To: Chelsea <33

her mom

From: Chelsea <33

no

From: Chelsea <33

who really?

To: Chelsea <33

im not kidding

From: Chelsea <33

im coming now