Chapter 3

-The Backstory-
It was just me, my mom and my dad living in Albany, New York. We had the perfect life. My mom and dad happily married of 18 years, perfect jobs with a nice home and family to share it with. I am an only child. My dad was a veterinarian and my mom was a cop. I had a boxer named Lily. One day my mom was working a shift 21 hours long. My dad and I decided to get a gift basket for her. We got her all of her favorite foods and a gift card to Starbucks (her favorite place ever lol). We got a card and basket and left the store. When my dad and I got home, we put the basket together and wrote in the card.

I wrote:

"Mom, you could not ever believe how proud of you I am. You are my everything. You inspire me to be the best I could be every single day. Without you, I would have never found myself or be here where I am today. No one could ever replace the spot you have in my heart. Thank you for being my role model. You're the best. I love you so much!"

I placed the card in the middle of the basket and sat on the couch with my dad for about half an hour. He thought we should clean up the kitchen and go to bed. We started to wash dishes when there was a knock on the door. My dad opened it while I continued with the dishes. My dad opened the door to their conversation. My mom was not coming home...
1 month later: I came out of my room once or twice a day, to go to the bathroom or get food, which was rare. I ate on a schedule of every 3 days. I did not have an appetite, but I needed food to live. The gift basket still sat on the counter , neither me or my dad dared to touch it. I walked downstairs to get food and I saw my dad sitting at the table with his face in his hands with papers in front of him. Once he heard me he got up quickly and wiped away a single tear and covered up the papers.

Dad: "hi honey."
Me: "hi dad. Everything okay?"

This is the first time I have talked to my dad in 3 weeks; the funeral.

Dad: "uh... yeah, just some paperwork, that's all."
Me: "are you sure?"

My dad let out another tear.

Dad: "I love you a lot and I think you deserve to know. I'm struggling right now. Bills are catching up and they're hard to keep up with. But I will figure it out."

I was heartbroken. After everything my dad has been through, he has to deal with this as well. The next day, I got a job. I told my story and begged. By my first paycheck, it was the first time I had been happy in a while. I had gone back to school again and I got to surprise my dad with my first paycheck. This would help. When I got home, I hugged my dad and showed him the check. $364.77. My dad looked at it emotionless and whispered to me,

Dad: "go pack your room up."
Me: "what?"
Dad: " I got a job offer. I bought a house."
Me: "what are you talking about?!"
Dad: "your aunt and uncle will be renting this house. They are willing to give us the money for mortgage plus $200 a month to help out. I got a better paying job while the prices are lower. It's a perfect change that we need.
Me: "...where are we going?"
Dad: "New Jersey. We're leaving Monday."

I packed up my room and the basket. I helped my dad with some of the house, but he wanted to just replace the rest of it. By 5 days later, we were in New Jersey. Don't get me wrong, my new house is nice, but it doesn't feel like home. My dad gave me money and told me to go buy any furniture or decorations since I was "now the girl of the house." I did not have to go to school yet since it was the last week before summer break. While I was shopping for the furniture, I met Sophia. She helped me shop, we bought food together and we bonded like crazy. I hung out with her all summer (so far). She's the only friend I have here.

Word count: 770