Chapter 4: 14 Days

The next morning, I woke up with the sun; it shone through my lacy curtains, which allowed the light to sprinkle throughout my room like confetti instead of rays. It wasn't until a few moments after my first deep inhale of the day where I realized I had dreamed of Jim. What about him, I couldn't say; maybe I was replaying last night's events in my head, right before it went to shit. Our moment in his bedroom, the taste of vodka on my tongue, the heat of his body, the sound of the music. It would have been the perfect kiss.

Eventually, I got myself up, rubbing my eyes and stretching. I found the sweatshirt I was wearing last night and put it back on, pushing my hair into a bun. I had a nice apartment; it was quaint and modest. I didn't need anything too flashy or artsy or whatever, just my records and my couch. I had no TV because I couldn't pay for cable and my prized possession was my 10 year-old computer from the 1990s, which took 15 minutes to turn on. I dared to look inside my fridge, which had a couple vegetables and some month-old juice. I needed to go grocery shopping so, so bad. Tears dotted my eyes as I look at my empty fridge, feeling like shit. At moments like these, I would have called my dad and asked him to help, but I was still peeved that he fired me. I knew that everything he said was right - but that doesn't mean what happened hurt any less. 

I checked the mailbox outside of my apartment door, throwing the letters on my counter before making myself some tea. I rubbed my face, sitting at my table and daring to open yet another rent notice from my super. It was definitely my best letter yet - I was getting evicted in 14 days if I didn't come up with rent by then.

I sighed heavily, wiping the tears from my face. Fuck.

After checking my practically cobwebbed bank account to find that I only have enough money to make half of the rent, I took a cold shower (my hot water was shut off) and got dressed, trying not to cry again. I gathered the remaining work I had to do for my advisor and shoved it all into my bag before leaving my apartment to go to a cafe across the street. It was a cute little place, not bad pricing, and the couches were comfortable. Anyway, the most important thing was taking my mind off of the fact I was about to get evicted. I sat alone at my table, grading these truly terrible papers in my purple pen, sipping my black coffee, when a familiar voice interrupted me.

"Paris!! Oh my god, I didn't know you came here!" Standing before me was Pam with a larger, muscular guy with brown hair, who honestly looked out of place in a coffeeshop.

"Pam! Oh my gosh, it's great to see you," I replied, clearing my throat and standing to meet their heights.

"Paris, this is my fiancé Roy. He works in our warehouse," she introduced, smiling. Roy looked kind of uncomfortable, but he gave me a small smile and shook my hand. "We were just grabbing some coffee to start our Saturday. Can we join you?"

"Oh — yeah, sure."

"We don't want to intrude if you're doing work—"

"Oh no, it's fine, I was just finishing up these anyway, have a seat," I said, organizing all my papers into the same spot. Pam and Roy sat across from me at my table, and we crowded into the little space.

"So, what were you up to?" She asked pleasantly, drinking her cappuccino and gesturing to my work.

"Oh, I was grading some papers for my thesis advisor. I'm a T.A. for her feminist literature class."

"Woah, how cool! What are the papers about?"

"Mostly the theory of intersectionality in feminism and how that was absent in the better part of feminist literature," I explained, thumbing my mug. "It's a really interesting topic, but undergrad papers usually aren't the best, so it makes for a pretty boring work day."

"No that's cool, that sounds like a great class. You know I'm actually really glad to run into you, because I wanted to apologize for yesterday," she said kindly, giving me an empathetic look.

"Oh — it's, it's okay."

"No, it's not, I mean you were totally having a moment with Jim before I interrupted, and I'm sorry about that. I was having some weird PMS feelings and needed to talk to him, but I should have waited until later." Awkwardly, I smiled, shrugging as she said this. Internally, I thought it was really big of her. "So, you know, sorry about that. I really hope it works out between you two, you guys would make a great couple. Oh! Jim told me about the sales position, have you decided what to do yet?"

"Yeah, actually, I think I'm gonna take it." She giggled excitedly and clapped her hands.

"Awesome! It'll be nice to have a girlfriend in the office. I can actually book an appointment with him right now if you're interested?"

"Yeah, sure! Does Monday first thing work for him?"

"Oh yeah, everything works for Michael, he does basically nothing," she joked, and I laughed with her. She noted our appointment in a little planner, which I thought was diligent. It was nice to feel like she was on my side, given everything with Jim. It was so weird that I knew so little about these people, yet I knew this big secret about Jim and Pam and she had no idea. It was like I'd known them for years, keeping their secrets. Keeping his secret.

"So, have you set a date for the wedding?" She shrunk at my question and grabbed Roy's hand.

"Not yet, actually, but we're thinking Spring."

"Oh, that'll be nice, new beginnings and all that."

"Yeah, we think so too. Well anyway, regardless of the wedding planning, we're really happy, especially since we work together, that's really nice." Roy nodded along with her, smiling a little, looking around.

"Babe, I think we should get going," he said to her, and she nodded, gathering her things before they stood. "It was great to meet you, Paris."

"You too," I said to him. "See ya Monday, Pam."

"Bye Paris!"

The door jingled with their exit, and I sighed heavily, staring at my swirling coffee. They were a nice couple, and it was really cool to see this other side of Pam. Clearly she was emotionally sensitive and not intentionally leading Jim on. And she was right, it would be nice to have a friend at the office, one who I wasn't pining after and who wasn't leading me on, however intentionally. But then again, I couldn't help but think about what she said, how me and him would be cute together. I just wished he felt that way too.