Chapter 7: Independent

After what happened with Ryan, I had a really long talk with my dad about what happened. My dad and I made up after I got the job at Dunder Mifflin, which he was really proud of me for. He preferred to go upstairs and beat up Ryan himself, but I managed to talk him down to a threatening email. It was a very long, very scary description of how my dad would murder him if he ever showed his face at Vance Refrigeration or if he talked to me like that again. He also convinced me to start carrying pepper spray in my purse, which I was actually okay with. On our first day back at work after Christmas, the email was the talk of the office, which was embarrassing for me, but at least I knew there was gonna be justice for what happened to me. Michael even printed it out and drew illustrations on it and put it on my desk, which was great.

Despite that silliness, Michael was really angry with Ryan. After giving my testimony to Toby, he and Michael and Ryan all gathered in the conference room for a long time. I heard some yelling on Michael's part, at both Toby and Ryan, and couldn't focus on any of my work. Jim held my hand, and though he and I didn't really talk about it, he was there for me. I've started to notice that Jim has his own way of comforting people; he has this calming, protective presence that makes me feel like I've never been alone in my life.

Eventually, the door opened, and the men shuffled out, especially Ryan. Looking down, he said, "Paris, can I talk to you privately?"

"No," I said shortly. "I think whatever you need to say to me, you can say in front of everyone."

He sighed, looking at the floor.

"You can also look at me as you do it," I fumed, feeling my anger rise. He looked up and into my eyes.

"Paris, um, I'm really, really sorry for how I acted towards you at the party. It was completely inappropriate and shameful of me. I'm so sorry for my disgusting actions and I hope you can forgive me and that we can continue working together."

"And as punishment," Michael commented, "Ryan is no longer allowed to drink at our parties —"

"He shouldn't be drinking anyway —"

"Shut it, Toby. He will also take a two week suspension without pay."

"You didn't fire him?" Phyllis asked in disbelief.

"Well, no —"

"We, including Paris, decided that he can continue working here as long as he doesn't exhibit that kind of behavior again. Also, Bob Vance would kill him," Toby sighed. Phyllis looked at me, concerned, and I nodded to confirm what he said.

"I'm okay with him working here," I confirmed, looking around the office.

"Okay, Ryan, you can pack your stuff and start your suspension today," Michael said. Ryan nodded, and shuffled back to the annex with Toby. I took a deep breath, letting go of Jim's hand and rubbing my face.

"Paris."

"Yes Dwight?"

"I wanted to let you know that I am sorry about what happened, and I am prepared to shun Ryan for a year if you would like," he replied, looking over some documents. I smiled a little to myself.

"Thank you Dwight, but that's no necessary," I said, looking over at Jim, who was looking at me with a concerned expression, his cheeks growing pink. "I'm okay, Jim."

"I know, I just... I could kill him."

"Leave my dad to do the killing. You go sell paper." He gave me a little smile and started his work.

A few weeks went by. Nothing really changed in that time; I was still doing really well at work, and everyone was on my side about the Ryan situation. I think the altercation between him and I (and everything after) really made me stronger. I was tougher, and it was showing. I was a straightforward salesperson, an honest friend, and I wasn't holding back when I felt wronged. At night, I thought of Jim and whether or not he was ever gonna be over Pam, and then I talked myself out of that sadness. I didn't need Jim! I didn't need anybody. I was exactly what my dad needed me to be: I was independent, for the first time in my life, and it felt great. My relationship with Jim was the only hole in my life, besides my mom, of course. But his feelings for me were out of my hands; I had to tell myself there was nothing I could do.