Chapter 22

~Yako's POV~

Yako had been walking down the old school's hallway when she heard someone yelling.

She couldn't quite make out what the voice was saying, but she heard it cut off suddenly as if someone had chopped off their head.

She shivered. What had happened?

Being an apparition, Yako was used to strange noises and the like. They had never scared her before.

But that night, it felt like someone had died as soon as the voice was stopped.

~Time skip~

"Hey, Yako-chan?"

Yako turned to see Nene, the human girl with the fat ankles.

"Yes?" She asked, a little impatiently.

"Have you seen the Confession Tree? He's been missing since last night."

Last night...

Yako involuntarily shivered again. That was when she had heard the voice.

"No." She answered shortly. "Why would I care about-"

"Nene-chan!" A voice yelled from down the hallway. Yako looked at the figure running towards them.

"Y/n-chan?" Nene called. "What is it?" The other girl stopped once she had reached them, pausing to catch her breath.

"Have you seen-" She stopped, looking at Yako in shock. "Oh..."

"I don't believe you've met." Nene said brightly. "This is Yako-chan. She's an apparition, and the second school wonder." Yako smiled forcefully.

"Hello." She said. Y/n smiled at her.

"Nice to meet you!" She said cheerfully. "May I just say that you're beautiful?" Yako was taken aback, but she managed to hide it.

"Thank you." She replied. She thought about adding, But I can't say the same to you, but she decided not to.

"Anyway..." Y/n turned to Nene, her expression concerned. "Have you seen Tsukasa? He disappeared yesterday and I can't find him..." Nene smirked.

"Aww, are you worried about him?" She teased. To the girl's clear surprise, Y/n nodded.

"Of course. We didn't exactly... part on good terms." She said hesitantly. Nene raised her eyebrows.

"Really?" She asked. "What happened?" Y/n looked down at the floor.

"I... don't wanna talk about it right now." She said quietly. "To be honest, I don't really understand it." Her face turned bright again. "Well, sorry to bother you! I'll see you around!" With that, she turned away and walked back down the hallway, looking a little distraught.

"She was... interesting." Yako noted. "And who is Tsukasa?"

"A friend of hers." Nene answered sadly. "But I think that he thinks of her as more than a friend. Same with her." Yako shrugged.

"Well, it's not my problem." She said simply. "I don't really care." She walked back to the Misaki stairs and sat down on the second step, thinking to herself about the missing apparitions.

Surely they didn't stop following their rumors and died, did they?

No, that was unlikely.

Yako thought about the scream again.

"The reason they're vanishing couldn't be natural, could it...?" She muttered to herself, lost in thought.

"Well, duh. It's obviously unnatural." A voice said next to her. "I mean, we're all supernaturals, right?"

Yako jumped what felt like 6 feet in the air.

"Oh my gosh, Tsuchigomori!" She exclaimed angrily, trying to catch her breath. "Don't do that!" The handsome apparition laughed heartily, causing Yako to blush a little.

"Sorry, sorry." He said, obviously not sorry. "I just overheard what you were saying and thought I'd add my own thoughts." Yako rolled her eyes.

"Fine, then." She said, sitting back down primly. "What do you wish to add to the discussion?" Tsuchigomori thought about it for a minute.

"Well..." He started. "The first apparitions to disappear were the Mokke of the old building. Normally, that would just mean they stopped abiding by their rumors. However..." He pushed his glasses up. "The Confession Tree has also vanished. That leads me to believe that there is a more sinister force at work." He sighed. "I just don't know what it could be..."

"Do you think it's a murderous apparition?" Yako asked, suddenly feeling ill at ease. Tsuchigomori shrugged.

"That's a possibility." He mused. "Unlikely, though. What kind of spirit attacks other spirits?" Yako pondered this.

"I... don't know." She finally replied. "Maybe not an apparition, then... an exorcist?" Tsuchigomori shook his head.

"No." He said. "There are only two exorcists at this school; one is a friend of spirits, and the other is law-abiding. None of the missing apparitions have committed evil acts, therefore not giving him a reason to destroy them."

The two of them sat silently, thinking through every situation possible.

Suddenly, Tsuchigomori's eyes widened. "Wait, you don't think it's a-"

"HEEELP!!"

Tsuchigomori and Yako looked at each other before bolting down the hallway the scream had come from.

~~~~~~

New chapter coming soon