Chapter 29

~Y/n's POV~

It was during lunch that it happened.

Hisato Nakamura walked up to Y/n's desk, smiling sweetly. His hair had been dyed pink again.

"Hey, Y/n-san!" He said cheerfully. Y/n looked up at him and blushed a little.

"Oh, hey, Hisato-san!" She said, trying to calm down. "What's up?" Hisato looked to the side, rubbing his neck. He looked a little unsure of himself.

"Well, I was just wondering..." He paused, breathing in. "I was wondering if you wanted to meet me in the practice garden after school today. I just wanted to talk with you about something." He smiled awkwardly. "What do you say?"

Y/n didn't answer. She just stared at him.

Was Hisato... asking her out?

"Um... sure..." She said slowly, not really believing what was going on. "May I ask what this is about...?" Hisato shook his head.

"Not now. I'll tell you when we get there." He said, smiling again. "Thank you, Y/n-san. I'll see you there, then!" With that, he walked behind her to his desk, as class was about to start.

Y/n couldn't pay attention; she was thinking too much.

Oh my god... She thought to herself. Hisato-san just asked me out, didn't he? My crush asked me out! But...

She looked at her hands, her fingers clenched into fists. 

Why don't I feel excited about it?

~Time skip~

As soon as Y/n left the classroom, something unusual happened.

Tsukasa was standing outside the entrance, holding something behind his back.

"Oh, Tsukasa!" Y/n exclaimed in surprise, but then got quieter as people gave her weird looks. "What're you doing here?"

The boy squirmed where he was standing. At that moment, Y/n noticed that he looked very nice. His clothes were still the same, but they were much cleaner (not that they were dirty before, they just looked brand new now). His hair had been brushed, and his hat was very clean.

"Um, Y/n..." He said, sounding a little awkward. "I... I was wondering something..."

Y/n blinked. "Yes?" She asked.

Tsukasa looked at the ground. "I... I wanted to know if you'd like to go to the roof with me. Like, right now."

Y/n stared at the boy. Then, it dawned on her.

Ohhhh... Tsukasa wanted to hang out with her, didn't he?

But it would conflict with her date with Hisato!

"Um..." She said, hands behind her back, trying to think of a way to turn him down.

Tsukasa noticed how uncomfortable she was. He looked down, seeming very sad. Somehow, he managed a pained smile. "It's okay. If you don't wanna, then don't. I was just wondering." With that, he started to float away.

"Wait!" Y/n exclaimed, guilt rushing through her. Oh, come on, Tsukasa was her friend! Hisato would understand that! Why did she even question what she was going to do?!

Tsukasa turned around in surprise. Thankfully there were no more students standing in the hallway, so no one thought she was crazy.

"Tsukasa!" Y/n said, walking towards him. She put her hands on his shoulders, smiling at him. "I would love to. Sorry that I hesitated." Tsukasa stared at her, mouth slightly open.

Then, he smiled so happily that it filled Y/n with pure joy.

"Yay! Okay, then!" He said, holding out something to Y/n.

She looked down at it and gasped.

It was a tiny locket on a gold chain. Y/n took it carefully and admired it.

"Is this for me...?" She whispered. Tsukasa nodded, pleased with her reaction.

"Yup!" He said. "If you're ever in trouble, then just open it and I'll come rescue you! You can use it outside of the school, too, because I can leave!" He smiled widely.

Y/n stared at him, and then she slowly smiled. "Thank you, Tsukasa." She said, putting it on. Even though it was metal, it felt warm against her collarbone.

"Well, let's go!" Tsukasa announced cheerfully, grabbing Y/n's hand and pulling her down the hallway.

~~~~~~

New chapter coming soon!