Chapter One

Thank you to @hchladybug1218 for this beautiful cover art!!^

I
• • •

        "Please!! Please I'll do anything! No-" The guy choked out from under my heal, begging for any mercy I might have had.

Unfortunately for him, I never had any.

"Oh, shut up already," I aimed between his eyes and pulled the trigger, sighing as I spun my gun around and landed it back in its holster.

"I swear, they're getting whinier and whinier with each operation," I turned to face Mason, who had just finished eliminating the last target.

He stood up straight and turned his head to look over at me. Mason stood at about 6'3" with messy black hair that perfectly complimented the rest of his dark features and stark-green eyes. The black clothing we had to wear all the time looked good against his tan skin- even now as there was blood randomly splattered across it.

Smirking at me, he brought his gun up to his mouth and blew the end of it as if blowing off smoke. Only there was no smoke and he looked like an idiot. I rolled my eyes and bent down to pick up the knifes I had used off the ground, slipping them back into the straps on my left leg.

"That gets dumber every time you do it," I told him, finishing up gathering my things.

"I'd say it's pretty cool," he disagreed, stepping over the expanding puddle of blood in between us and coming closer to me. He handed me another one of my knives that I had dropped near him, not losing the grin on his face.

"Ah shit, I got blood all over these shoes," I muttered, peering down at them.

"Your fault for wearing new shoes to a multi-target case.. this was bound to be a blood bath," he said, looking around at the particularly heavy amount of blood. He was right, our operations usually weren't as messy as this one.

After looking around one more time to make sure all of our belongings were collected, we met back together in the middle of the room.

"Well, we finished the operation," he smiled down at me, "you know what that means.."

"Dan Dayyy," I smiled back, looping my arms around his neck as his hooked around my waist. He leaned down and brought his lips to mine.

After any team eliminates their target(s) and completes their operation successfully, they are allowed the next day off- free of the usual daily physical and mental training.

All the agents referred to it as a 'Dan Day' because the agent that both received the first one and pushed for all agents to get one after an operation was named Dan.

And in the shitty, shallow lives we led, Dan Days were an absolute godsend. You were allowed to go anywhere, and do anything (for the most part), which was typically completely unheard of in the agency. Everyone envied those who had a Dan Day- and that was about to be us.

"To the bat-mobile!" Mason proclaimed with a grand gesture, taking my hand in his and leading the way to the car. I pulled my hand out of his as we continued.

"I'm capable of walking, Mason," I told him sternly and he just chuckled, knowing full well that it irked me when people took my hand to lead me places. Consider it a small pet peeve of mine.