Chapter Nine

IX
• • •

I knew Blake would be coming out of the diner any second, and I couldn't let him me be beating this dude up, so I'd have to make it quick.

With his arms still holding me from behind, I raised my leg and kicked backwards, hearing his knee crack upon impact. I hoped that his pained yell couldn't be heard from inside the diner. At this, his grip on me loosened and I was able to twist out of it, immediately spinning and kicking him with full force on the side of his neck.

He stumbled to the side and let out a few angry growls, holding his neck. Usually I would have made fun of him for trying to impersonate a werewolf, but I was on a time crunch here. He lunged for me once again, but I slip-dodged to the side and smashed my fist into his nose, blood immediately pouring from it.

He held his nose with one hand and barreled into me with his shoulder. It took a few seconds of struggling against his grip, but I finally spun onto his back and instinctually snapped his neck. His body went limp and he fell to the ground.

"Oh shit," I mumbled, looking around and hoping no one saw that, which no one did. Not yet, anyways. I needed to act fast.

"Hey, yoohoo," I rolled him over and slapped his face. "Wake up," I said and frantically nudged him again. "Shit shit shit okay, um," I looked around again, still no one around, and then brought my attention to some bushes a few yards away from us.

I quickly stood up and grabbed him by his arms, pulling him with all my might towards the bushes. It took a little too long for comfort, but we finally made it there. Slightly out of breath, I snapped a picture of his face and rolled him under the bushes, taking another picture of where I hid him.

I kicked a few leaves at him to try and hide any parts of him that were exposed, and ran back over to Blake's car, jumping inside the passenger seat. I immediately clicked on my ear piece.

"Mason someone just jumped me," I frantically told him, keeping my voice down in case I didn't notice Blake approaching.

"What?" He yelled with food in his mouth. "Who? Where's Blake?"

"He's still in the diner but he'll be out any second.. here I'm sending you the pictures," I told him and opened my phone, sending him the picture then deleting it from my phone.

"Jeez Faye, did you kill him?" He asked, reacting to the gory picture once he got it.

"Yeah, woopsie," I looked around again for Blake. "Can you check to see who he is and call the clean up crew in for me? I'm in Blake's car."

"You're in his car??" He asked.

"Yeah, what about it," I replied.

"Faye, he could have set you up," he told me.

"He didn't- I would have noticed something off at some point. This guy attacking me was something else. I'm going to keep trying to get information out of him tonight- just call clean up crew and I'll keep you updated till I'm back at the apartment.. Shit- Blake's coming I gotta go," I quickly told him and looked up at Blake as he approached the car.

"Ava I don't like thi-" I cut Mason off by turning my ear piece off.

"Hey stranger," I said with a grin once he got in. He looked back at me and let his eyes wander over my face before a casual smile spread across his.

As he started the car, Mason's words swirled around my head. A part of me didn't want to believe it, but I knew that logistically I had to make sure Blake wasn't setting me up.