Chapter Two

II
• • •

Leaving my hair down for the day always felt sort of weird, since I was so used to pulling it into a ponytail for the day. I figured that since we were going into the city, I might at well put some effort into my appearance.

My hair cascaded over my shoulders in lose curls, and I gave myself a surprised expression in the mirror at how good they came out. I put on a little more makeup than usual, lowkey feeling myself in the process.

I had on light, ripped jeans and a black leather jacket paired with black booties and a big white/black flannel-patterned scarf. I looked a little too much like a normal high school girl... it was kinda freaky.

I heard banging on my door and grinned, grabbing my purse and swinging the door open. Mason was leaning against the door frame, his eyes scanning over me before an impressed look spread across his face.

"Wow, if I didn't know you I would have no idea you're actually a stone-cold bitch," he said and I snickered. Backhanded compliments were sort of his thing, whereas blatant insults were mine.

"You look like you belong in a Frat house," I told him, referring to the jeans and thin, black thermal he was wearing. A look of excitement flashed across his face, as if he just remembered something.

"Oh- you'll like this," he reached up and pulled a thin gold chain around his neck out from under the sweatshirt. "I stole it from the last operation," he added and wiggled his eyebrows at me, knowing that I would in fact hate it.

"I'm disgusted," I told him, grimacing at the sight of him wearing the gold chain. He chuckled and tucked it back in as I closed the door behind me.

As we made our way to the exit of the institution, we made sure to wave at everyone training and rub it in that we had the day off. Consider it part of the Dan Day tradition.

Stepping out into the crisp morning air, I turned to look at Mason, who was sporting a grand ol' smile.

"So, what so we do first?" I asked, skeptical that this would be fun.

"That's the beauty of it all," he walked by and scooped my hand up in his, "anything we want."

* * *

"This is so much better than the institution's food," Mason said, stuffing his face with home fries.

"That's not saying much," I commented, reaching over and taking a slice of his bacon. He hadn't noticed- since he was looking over his shoulder at an attractive girl walking by.

Pick-pocketing and stealing was also one of our trained attributes.. Though I rarely used it for anything other than meaningless instances like this.

Mason insisted that we actually paid the bill, so after pulling a couple ten dollar bills out of his wallet and popping them on the table, we were out.

We spent the day aimlessly walking around the city. If I said I didn't steal a couple things along the way I would be lying- but nothing too expensive.

Once we were a little hungry again, he turned to me with the expression he wore whenever he had an idea.

"I've always wanted to do this- follow my lead," he said as we walked into a cupcake bakery.