Chapter Sixteen

XVI
• • •

We only had a few seconds to throw ourselves behind a car before the men grabbed their guns and began shooting. A bullet nicked my arm as I rolled behind the car, blood immediately seeping out. I let out an annoyed growl and quickly tied a strip of my shirt around the wound.

"You said there would only be a few guys," I said to Mason over the sound of gunfire, who was squished next to me.

"There were supposed to be," he replied, the deadly calm he always slipped into while on jobs now setting in. With perfect precision, he leaned over the hood of the car and shot three of them down. He pulled back before he got a bullet to his own head.

"There are so many of them," Marty added and tried to shoot a few down himself, missing in the process. I normally would have made a 'captain obvious' comment, if I wasn't too busy trying to plan out how the hell we were going to get out of this.

"The guns," Mason told me pointedly as he continued successfully shooting men down one at a time. I looked over at the pile of weapons in the middle of the warehouse.

"Got it." I replied, understanding what he had seen. Him and Marty would stay here and keep shooting, while I'd blow them up.

Thankfully, we had received some pocket-grenades from the agency. They were small enough to fit in any outfit, and when the correct combination was put into them, they would be set off in a matter of seconds. They weren't the greatest, but they sure as hell worked.

"Cover me!" I yelled to him and shot out from behind the car, sprinting to the car closest to the weapons. I felt bullets breezing around me, but I didn't stop until I rolled behind the car- gathering myself for a moment before grabbing two pocket grenades from my gun holster.

With a calm exhale, I quickly punched in the combination and leaned over the car to throw them as hard as I could towards the pile of firearms. They barely made it there before they exploded, lighting up the entire pile with them. I braced myself against the car as the explosion pushed it backwards.

Hopefully that had taken out some of the men, too. Screams and cursing now filled the warehouse. With an evil grin, I grabbed my second gun from its holster and stood up, holding them both in front of me and firing at whoever I saw. One after the other fell, and by the time I fell back down behind the car, I had taken out probably 10.

I looked over to where Mason and Marty were still shooting, and Mason gave me a small grin and approving nod when we met each other's gaze. There weren't too many left now, and while we weren't leaving completely unharmed, we certainly weren't bleeding too much for the amount of men we had originally been faced with.

After a few more moments, I sprinted back over to the two of them, slightly out of breath as I practically fell on top of Mason, bullets still hitting the car.

"What would you do without me?" I mused, trying to take some of the tension out of the situation.

"Die. Quite literally," he replied, and I chuckled, joining him in shooting down the remaining three men.

Then it was silent. The only sound being the fire still burning from the explosion I had set off. We waited minutes, long enough for anyone remaining to either make a move or think we were dead.

After a long while, we finally decided to cautiously move out from behind the car. Since the gun pile had been taken out, there weren't many guns at all that they had had access to during the shoot-out, but someone could have easily taken the bullets out of the guns of those we killed early on.

We proceeded with caution, staying alert as we walked around to make sure the place was clear. And surprise surprise, we weren't alone just yet.

The men didn't have guns, only knives. Good. Guns got boring after a while- I loved being able to have a good knife fight.