ii. february 29th, 1528

journal entry #2 AN ENTRY ON THE VISIT
DURING THE YEAR OF OUR LORD, 1528.

The second day that he appeared up in my home was just as accidental as the first. I do not recall it as clearly as I wish. I was a mere child, my heaviest burden being which wonderful fictional world I should give my attention today. But it is enough to where I can fill in the gaps myself.

His ship slowly phased into existence, and I remember watching it do so curiously. The color of his box caused me to become awestruck. In my short few years, I had only seen that color in the evening sky.

A wooden toy was grasped lightly in my hand from where I sat on the floor, forgotten as I slowly blinked. My mind was quite imaginative as a child, it had to be if I wanted to stay sane during the long days, so I sat in silence trying to figure out if the opening door and the man that sprang out was merely that imagination.

"Oh, hello there," the man said. It was not the most jovial greeting, he was more doing it out of politeness for he knew he had barged into my room. He was a guest. "This isn't Mesopotamia."

"Mosatamia?" I had repeated in a breathless way. He eyes snapped to me and suddenly he was adjusting his odd leather attire. He observed the childlike wonder in my young eyes and decided he would not be as cold as he could.

"Mesopotamia." His gaze slowly tore away from me to take in the fine details of my room. It was unnecessarily large and did not seem welcoming in the slightest. The only signs that a child put their head to rest there were the toys before me and the oddly small clothes. "This looks... I've been here before."

I did not feel fear in my brave young heart. I had barely even started my education, and no one had yet bothered to teach me the dangers of the world. I set my wooden train car down in front of the crackling fireplace before standing to my feet.

"It is my birthday, sir," my high voice informed him proudly. I saw no issue in bringing up the random subject, as was the way children were wired. "My name's Abraham. Sorry I have no food to share."

"Shame," he said with a bit of silent sarcasm before sniffing the air. "Ah, I have been here. I helped a woman give birth about four years ago. Quite a fantastic day. How old are you?"

His full attention was finally on me and he walked closer to me. I craned my neck upwards to his tall figure. I counted quickly on my fingers and then held them up with pride. My brown curly hair bounced slightly. "Four years, sir. And that was my mother. Ms. Wilkins talks about it often."

"Oh, brilliant! Well Abraham, nice to meet you! My name is The Doctor," he exclaimed. A deep smile sprang onto his face, pleased with how things had turned out. It quickly fell again. "I meant to go to Mesopotamia. Why am I not in Mesopotamia?"

"Did you make a mistake, sir?"

"No, that's ridiculous. I'm a wonderful pilot." I glanced at his wooden box in confusion. It was not much of a boat but I shrugged it off. I watched patiently as realization dawned on his face and he discovered laws of the universe I could not yet understand. "Well, alright then. Where is your mum? I'd like to see how she's doing, as her doctor. Postpartum depression and the lot, you know how it goes."

I did not, in fact, 'know how it goes.'

"She got sick last year."

"Is she feeling better?"

"No. She passed away. God took her."

His eyes widened slightly. I could tell he was not surprised, simply sorrowful. I later learned that he had met plenty of motherless humans. He continued on. "Have you got a father?"

"Yes, but he is always away at work. He says I look too much like her. Ms. Wilkins cares for me."

"Interesting. Then perhaps I've overstayed my welcome." I frowned as he hurriedly walked back towards the blue box, and without hesitation I called out to him.

"Sir, are you leaving? You just got here!"

"Sorry, but I—"

"Please stay! We could play some games. I have some boards I still have to try."

"Go ask Ms. Wilkins."

"I mustn't, she says. Please, sir!"

He sensed the desperation in my voice, I know he did. It caused him to hesitate and look back at me with pity.

"Maybe next time."

Next time would not be for another four years, but it was enough to give me patience.