Chapter 13. A Trip Down Memory Lane

Elle's POV***

I grabbed his hand as we walked through the large corn field. Each stalk brushed my shoulder, sending tingles down my spine. 

"Why here?" I asked quietly.

"My favorite spot is just past this corn field. It's creepy, I know," He chuckled. I forced out a laugh.

We continued to walk in silence. Fields made me nervous, especially considering the reason why I no longer have a mother. It was scary no doubt, but I wouldn't let Tate see my fear. With determination, I shook my head free of the past, and kept the memories locked in a little box in my cranium.

"We're almost there," He said quietly, pulling me further into the field. e

"What's over there? Where are you taking me?" I asked with a shaky voice. But as I was hurdled over a large bush, I came to a stop. In front of us no longer lay miles and miles of corn field. Instead, there was a large wooden gazebo, that sat in the middle of a green grass field.

"It's, amazing," I whispered.

"My mom is a wedding planner, this was one of the venues she's offered to a young couple. She doesn't know I come here," He said, leading me to the meadow. 

"I didn't peg you for the hidden flower field guy," I teased. I saw his shoulders tense and I wonder if I shouldn't have said anything.

"A lot of people peg me for certain things," He said, sitting us down. As I sit, the grass tickles me but it's cold and soothing. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. 

"So, since we're in the midst of our grand scheme, might as well find out about each other some more," Tate said, leaning on his elbows. His eyes are somewhere off, and almost as though he's disinterested. I frown and pull my knees up.

"Any siblings?" I asked him. He nodded. "I had a sister."

"Had?" The word comes out before I can help it. His eyes become cold and I feel him glare at me before looking away.

"How old was she?" I asked gently.

"11." The air is different as he answers and I hope I haven't totally blown anything. The thought makes me cringe.

I decide not to push the subject further, and instead, switch over to something else. 

 "Do you know what you want to do after high school?" I asked him. He shrugged. 

"As long as I'm away from this small minded town then anything sounds nice," He regards. I nod, and can't help but agree. The thought of leaving here scares me, but staying seems to terrify me. 

"You?" He head nods towards me. I sighed.

"I'd like to get a job somewhere at a publishing firm. Maybe New York, or Seattle. Chicago maybe."

"Don't writing jobs get like shit pay?" Tate asked with a flat look. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"Sounds like my dad," I mutter incoherently. 

"Does he not approve?" Tate asked. I bit my lip, unaware of how much information I should be sharing with him. For all I knew, he could pull a Jason, and then humiliate me further in front of everyone one day. I had to play my cards right.

"Well what parent would?" I simply reply without giving too much. 

"I suppose so, but all parents throw away their dreams to give their kids a better chance, only to have the pattern repeat. Kind of gross isn't it?"

His insight on things seem to stun me, and I know he notices it. I hadn't expected Tate to give a shit about anything, let alone having such a strong opinion on parental guidance. I try my best to make it seem like I'm not surprised.