Little Deeds

This is a little backstory of this drawing:

When Val was little she had this issue with Hector: she always felt like he would never truly appreciate her efforts during trainings as Quirin or Adira did

When Val was little she had this issue with Hector: she always felt like he would never truly appreciate her efforts during trainings as Quirin or Adira did. So, as the naive girl she is, she thought that maybe trying to look more like him he would start to trait her a little better.

But as the Queen says trying to change just to please someone else is not like improve for yourself.

Valerie remembers all this dialogue years later, after Hector left her on the Snowy Mountains and gifts her the bracelet cuffs

--------------------------------------------

During one of their lessons the Queen stopped reading noting that Valerie wasn't listening.

"Valerie? Is everything all right darling? You look thoughtful, has something happened?"

Valerie shook herself and looked at her "Huh? No, it's nothing... I was just thinking that maybe Master Hector will never like me..." she replied pouting and leaning back the chin on her hand.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because... I've been making my braids like his for days but he still didn't say anything!"

The Queen burst out laughing.

"I-it's not funny!" Valerie protested, a little embarrassed.

"Oh Valerie~ You don't have to worry about things like that, it won't be some braids that will make Hector like you more."

Valerie took one of the braids between her fingers "But in a few days I will have to take the oath to the Moonstone, what if even after that he will still not accept me as one of them? Quirin and Adira did it! Why he still hasn't?"

"You know, people aren't all the same. Trust is gained over time, only by committing yourself you can prove your worth and then the others will respect you too."

"And how will I understand he's respecting me?"

"You'll understand. Not everyone shows it, but even little deeds counts."

Valerie seemed to think for a moment and then she asked "So I made braids for nothing?"

The Queen giggled "No~ You look very cute like this, keep them till you'll feel the need to."

Valerie smiled "If you like it I think I'll keep them for some more~"

"But remember that it doesn't have to please me or anyone else, it must make you happy." The Queen smiled touching her nose.

Valerie giggled "Okay~"

"Listen, I got an idea, what do you think if we take a portrait together after you took the oath?"

Valerie's eyes lit up "A portrait? Me and you?" She hugged her "My Queen, it would be wonderful~! Thank you~"

She hugged her back "I knew you were going to like it."

"But I'll keep the braids~!"

The Queen smiled softly "As you like dear~"

:Flashback ends:

'Little deeds huh?'  Valerie thought looking at the cuffs Hector just gave her and smiled. 'I think this will be fine.'