Fight Back

"Concentrate!"

"I-I can't!" Valerie complained panting. "You're too fast!"

"No, you're the one who is too slow. In sword fighting you have to combine agility and strength. And you don't have either one."

"Well not yet! I'm learning!" she replied promptly.

"Are you going to always use this excuse not to commit yourself?"

Valerie stopped for a second "N-no! I just- AH!" She parried Hector's stroke and stepped back.

"I thought I said concentrate!" Hector kept attacking repeatedly, pushing Valerie towards the wall behind her.

Valerie stumbled, fell down with a cry and Hector disarmed her with a simple swing.

Valerie gasped as her sword fell near her. She looked at him in fear and shut her eyes as he approached "Stop please!"

Hector stopped, looking coldly at her. Then he scratched her cheek with the tip of his blade and she immediately groaned in pain.

"Do you really think your enemy will stop just because you asked them?! Don't be naive and fight back!" He yelled pointing the sword at her.

Silence fell. Valerie was looking at him trembling as a few small drops of blood fell on her shirt. She knew that she could simply grab her sword and resume the fight but she was paralyzed with fear and dismay, after how Hector had hurt her and how he shouted at her. Quirin and Adira did not teach like that, that was for sure.

He snorted lowering the blade "That's enough for today." And he left the hall.

Valerie looked down and sniffed.

'Maybe I'm not cut out for sword fighting...'

She got up, taking the sword from the ground and went out, to her room.