Prologue

Hey there, Delilah, what's it like in New York City? I'm a thousand thoughts away, but, girl, tonight you look so pretty. Yes, you do. Times Square can't shine as bright as you. I swear, it's true.

Hey there, Delilah. Don't you worry about the distance, I'm right there if you get lonely. Give this song another listen, close your eyes. Listen to my voice, it's my disguise. I'm by your side.

Oh, it's what you do to me; oh, it's what you do to me. Oh, it's what you do to me; oh, it's what you do to me. What you do to me...

Hey there, Delilah, I know times are getting hard. But just believe me, girl, someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar. We'll have it good. We'll have the life we knew we would, my word is good.

Hey there, Delilah, I've got so much left to say. If every simple song I wrote to you would take your breath away, I'd write it all. Even more in love with me you'd fall, we'd have it all.

Oh, it's what you do to me; Oh, it's what you do to me. Oh, it's what you do to me; Oh, it's what you do to me.

A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they've got planes and trains and cars. I'd walk to you if I had no other way. Our friends would all make fun of us. and we'll just laugh along because we know that none of them have felt this way. Delilah, I can promise you, that by the time we get through, the world will never ever be the same.

And you're to blame.

Hey there, Delilah, you be good and don't you miss me. Two more years and you'll be done with school, and I'll be making history as I do. You'll know it's all because of you. We can do whatever we want to.

Hey there, Delilah, here's to you. This one's for you.

Oh, it's what you do to me. What you do to me...

♦️♦️♦️

It was 3:14 in the morning when Delilah shot awake. She didn't wait for the sounds to finish bouncing through the air. She grabbed her sister first, then went to get her brother. He was already half-way out of the door. Together, Marquis, Delilah, and Leslie raced out of their apartment. Their parents closed the door behind them. Freddie- their cat- meowed from the carrier.

"You three, we're going to get Mrs. Simpson, take Freddie and go!" Their dad demanded. Marquis took the cat carrier and continued leading his sisters. The Foot were invading from the middle floors. They were fortunate to live near the bottom and were able to get to the street.

"Where are they?" Leslie asked, almost in tears. It was too much for her 10-year-old heart to take.

"Don't worry, Bean, they'll come," Marquis responded. He was a good older brother to Leslie.

"What about Mrs. Simpson and Skooter?" Leslie added.

"Dad will carry Skooter, and Mom will help Mrs. Simpson. Don't worry, Bean," Delilah responded. They ran to the corner, where their parents promised they'd meet in case of an emergency.

Marquis took his little sister in his arms. Delilah took both of her younger siblings to her chest. Freddie was at their feet. They watched the Foot run through their building and flinched at every gunshot they heard. They heard police sirens coming.

"See, Bean, the police are coming," Delilah whispered.

"Yeah... Yeah..." Leslie nodded, leaning closer to her brother. A louder gunshot was heard and people screamed.