Chapter Twenty Four

I shouldn't have been shaking.

These were the same halls I had walked a hundred times in the past few months. And it wasn't like I couldn't see, either; the darkness proved no obstacle to me. So there was no reason to be afraid. No creeping monster lurking just around the corner. It was just me and the mildew that hugged the walls.

So why was I shaking? And why was my breathing so uncontrolled? So erratic?

Everything's fine, I reminded myself, clutching the thin slip of paper tighter in my hands. I didn't have to see it to know what it said, as the amount of times I read over it burned the message into my mind.

Thomas,

We'll be at the maze at the moon's peak tomorrow night. Bring Angelica.

The messy, curled letters gave away who had scratched them down immediately. It was such a short message, lacking any connection or emotion that could have existed, but then again, nobody every really doubted Washington's mastery of being concise.

"Everything okay?"

The voice startled me out of my private thoughts. I forced a hard look, trying to keep my worry hidden from the prying eyes of the guard. "That is none of your concern," I snapped, chin raised despite how awkward it all felt. "And I would greatly prefer it if you chose to shut your mouth."

"Of course," the guard said, practically stumbling over the words. "My apologies." She turned away, her hand resting on the handle of the sword neatly belted to her side.

Of course she didn't trust me. Nobody did. Not even the people I was risking my life to protect.

Finally, the tight walls of the cobblestone corridor tapered off, bringing us to that same dark cavern. I swallowed, pushing down the rising memories, the instinctive fear, and the knot of worry.

Everything's going to be alright, I told myself again, balling my hands into fists to stop them from shaking. "Well," I said, nodding to the guard. "Thank you for your help in escorting me, as I clearly had no clue where I was going, but I think I can take it from here." It wasn't hard to infuse the dryness into my tone.

The guard hesitated a moment. "My apologies, but I have strict orders from the King to stay with you at all times."

I let out a huff of air that tingled with electricity. Damn George. Why does he have to keep interfering? This would be a lot easier if he just trusted me.

Strangely, a twinge of guilt rose up to my throat, almost making its presence known through my voice, but it wasn't strong enough to weather my protests to its mere existence. I managed to push it down and shake my head, as if expelling the thought altogether. I couldn't afford to care about the people I hurt.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Who was I trying to convince?

The guard noticed my silence and took it as disapproval, if not anger. She stepped a bit away from me, careful to make sure there was just enough space for her to draw her sword and disarm me if something should go wrong. We passed through the darkened tunnel in silence, and though I strained to hear, there was absolutely nothing.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity and a second all at the same time, we were standing right outside the only occupied cell. My gaze lingered on the one right next to it for a second too long, unable to escape the damning stare of the chains hanging slackly from the wall. If I so much as misstepped, how long would it take before I found those chains digging red lines into my wrist once more?