Chapter 07 -- Stop being jealous and possessive, I don't even know you!

Kia awoke the next morning to loud and obnoxious and very off-tune singing in her head.

IIIITTTTs a hard knock LIFE for

AAAHHHHH. SHUT UP!!

What? You don't like Orphan Annie? Tsk tsk. 

If you must sing, sing out loud, not in your head. 

I don't think I've had anyone tell me that before. Mostly they tell me to sing in my head.

Yeah, well, they dont have to listen to your thoughts 

Well, I'm taking a shower, so you can put up with it. I always sing in the shower. Besides, it's late. You should be getting up now anyway. Im sure Miss March has bacon and eggs ready for you. 

I hate eggs. And who's Miss March? That nice old cook? 

Nice? Are you kidding me? She chased me out of her kitchen with a spatula about a month ago. She's demon spawn. 

Demon spawn? Shes a much better person than you are. And she cooks better. 

I'll have you know that I am an EXCELLENT cook. I just don't like to do it. 

Maybe. Hey, Rilson told me that we have special powers, but we can't use them right now because you have the orb, which fuels them. 

Yeah? 

So what can I do? I mean what kind of special powers do I have? 

I dont know. I guess we'll find out when I see you again. 

I want to see you now. I want special powers. 

Stop whining. You'll get powers when you get them. Want to know what my special powers are? 

No. It'll just make me jealous 

Too bad. I'll tell you anyway. I can leave my body. I can become just a soul, but I can still see. I can float around looking down on things. But it leaves my body vulnerable. I can't imagine what would happen if someone killed my body while I was absent. I suppose I could take over the body of an animal. But the animal has a soul too. That would be weird. 

That's creepy. You can watch people without them knowing? 

His voice in her head turned husky. Yeah, I can watch you sleep. Or take a shower. 

"Eeek!" Kia pulled the covers up to her chin and suspiciously eyed all the dark corners of the room. I thought you said you didn't know what I looked like! And stop creeping me out. 

Hah! You're turned on, not creeped out. And I didn't know what you looked like until you got to head quarters. I didn't know where you were before then. You wouldn't think the location, and I can only hear your fully formulated thoughts. Dont worry; I won't invade the privacy of your shower... much. 

How about not at all! 

I was just kidding. The only time I will invade your showers is when I am me physically. Now, onto my other power. We usually have one spiritual or soul power, like the one I just told you, and one physical power. My physical power is temperature. I can change the temperature of anything. It hasn't come in handy for our work much, but I can have a warm meal instantly. And come to think of it, I could make a woman...

Stop! I don't want to hear it. 

Liar. He sounded amused now. But I won't press it. For right now, I want you to go eat breakfast and then come back up to your room. I'll show you how to look through some files I need on the other people we work with.