Chapter 5- Confrontation

Monika's POV:

Gone for two years, huh? What will my parents think? As soon as I walk into that house, I know that I am in for a treat. My parents are most likely FURIOUS with me. Can I blame them? I'd be mad at myself for doing all those horrible things and coming home two years later. They might kick me out, or punish me by other means. I feel myself shaking all over, not from the cold, but from fear and I'm clinging to MC's arm.

Then, I look up and MC is looking at me. He pecks my lips and says to me:

MC: It'll be alright. I'm here with you. I'll help explain to them.

I kiss him. And when we part lips, I take a deep breath.

Monika: Okay, I'm ready.

I walk towards the door and knock on it. Then I return to MC's side. We wait a few moments before hearing someone say something on the other side.

Monika's Mother: Honey?! Can you get the door?! I'm busy with the turkey!

It's my mom. I missed hearing her sweet voice.

Monika's Father: Yes, dear! I'm going!

I hear footsteps approaching the door. It's my dad, he's as kind as ever.

I am ready to embrace whatever happens next.

MC's POV:

I hear the door unlock and see a man at about the age of 40 appear in the doorway. I see that Monika got her eyes from her father.

Monika's Father: Hello, how can I-

He freezes when he sees Monika. Tears begin to well up in his eyes as he stands there. All of a sudden, we hear what seems to be Monika's mother walking towards our direction.

Monika's Father: M-Monika?

Monika's Mother: Dear, what's the matter, who's-

Monika's mother appears in the doorway beside her father and stares at Monika as well. I see that Monika got her hair from her mother. She clamps her hands to her mouth, and tears are falling down Monika's father's face.

Monika: Hey mom, hey dad.

Monika's Father: O-oh, oh my god... Monika, is it- is it really you?

Monika: Y-yeah, it is.

Monika's parents run towards her, regardless of how cold it is and hug her tightly. I see Monika begin to cry as this happens. She hugs them back, and before I knew it, they are in a family group hug. I feel a smile spread across my cheeks as I see this. Both Monika and her parents are sobbing, but nonetheless, I didn't want to ruin this beautiful reunification.

After the group hug, they bring us both inside. We all sit down in the living room and a conversation begins.

Monika's Father: Monika... where were you?

Here's the question I was hoping to avoid. I knew it was inevitable before one of them asked that, but I was secretly begging god to make them not to, but I guess my prayers went unheard. Monika looks at both of them. It's clear she doesn't know what to say. I can't blame her. If I had been obsessed with someone and killed off all of our friends, just to be with that person, and end up being deleted and coming back two years later, I wouldn't know what to say to my parents either.

MC: It's-

Monika- No MC, it's okay. I need to do this.

Monika's Mother: Please tell us. Where were you... why were you gone?

Monika takes another deep breath and starts telling her parents the tale. She tells them everything that happened without leaving anything out. And the more that she says, her parents become more and more shocked. Hearing all of this out loud myself shocks me as well, but I do my best not to show it. She tells them that we are all living in a video game and that we were all just files. She explains that she found that out after finding the console. She explains that she had deleted the world that we lived in, but kept me alive. She tells them how I deleted her and restored the world. She told them that I tried everything I could to bring her back, but something was preventing me from doing so... She's trying to convince them that it wasn't my fault. She then finishes off how I was finally able to bring her back today. She finished, her parents' eyes are wide open. It's completely silent in the room now.

It's like this for a few more minutes before I lean in and whisper in Monika's ear.

MC: ... You think they're okay?

Monika: I don't know. I guess It's a lot to take in, finding out that your entire world is a video game and that you are just a file.

Their eyes remain open like that for a few more minutes before they snap back into reality.

Monika's Father: So... we've just been... files in a video game... our entire lives... just an illusion.

Monika:... Yes... I'm so sorry... I was shocked when I found out as well.

Monika's Mother: I- I can't believe it. All this time, everything that we knew, everyone we know, is just part of some video game.

Monika's Father: And you, Monika... used this "console" to delete... everything? Why?

Monika looks down, tears are falling down her face.

Monika: I-I just loved MC so much that I became envious of all our friends. I felt like they were trying to take him away from me, I wanted him all to myself.

Monika's Father: Did you even TRY?!

Monika's father's outburst shocks everyone in the room. I see Monika look up suddenly, scared.

Monika's Father: Did you even try to consider us?! We did everything we could for you. Sent you to a good school, provided you love, you don't need someone else for that, that's just an option. Why didn't you tell us about your feelings for MC earlier?! We suffered so much for two years! Why would you sacrifice your loved ones?! We could've helped you!

Monika is crying uncontrollably, clearly from the guilt, I understand that she took the wrong approach in trying to be with me, but no one deserves to feel like this. Especially since they already regret everything they did.

Monika's Mother: Honey, please... stop. She already regrets everything that she did, we don't need to make her feel worse.

Monika's Father: No! Don't you remember what we went through these last two years?! We thought you had died. But, you suddenly appear out of nowhere, literally, and tell us that you threw away everything that you knew, severed all your bonds without hesitation, just to love someone else?!

That was it for me. I had enough. Monika is already suffering so much, she doesn't need more reasons to suffer. I stand up and begin to speak.

MC: How could you?!

All eyes are on me now. I start to regret my decision. But I quickly push the thought away. I need to defend my girlfriend.