Chapter 6- I'll defend you

MC: How could you say such things to your own daughter?! Didn't she already tell you that she regretted her decision?! She suffered for two years in a prison that reminded her of her mistakes.

Monika looks at me and her face is so wet from crying. This makes me even angrier.

Monika's Father: Is that MY FAULT?! She should've considered losing us!

I am ready to start lashing out at him. My eyes are filled with rage and my fists are clenched tightly. But before I make a move, I look at Monika. Her sad expression causes me to change my mind and I say something.

Monika's Father: WELL?!

MC: You're right. It's not your fault, and it's not Monika's either. In fact, it's all... my fault.

Everyone in the room is silent. I can feel their eyes staring at me as I look down at my feet.

Monika's Father: W-what?

Monika's Mother: W-what do you mean? You had nothing to do with this.

MC: It is. I'm sorry to say, but I'm the cause of Monika's actions. I caused her jealousy towards the other girls because I neglected to pay any attention to her. All because I was selfish. I was too cowardly in thinking that I might get rejected if I confessed to her. If I had only known that Monika had feelings for me. I didn't consider that Monika was feeling so neglected and lonely and so... sad. Because of what I had done, I caused her to be envious and angry. I unleashed a dark side of her. When I deleted her, I thought I had made the right choice, but when Monika told me that she regretted everything that she had done, it was too late. So please, don't be angry at Monika, but if you're going to be angry at someone, be angry... at me.

I look up and tears are falling both Monika's Mother and Father's face.

I tell them everything that Monika told me when she was being deleted. It pains me when I say those things, but I continue. When I finish, I look up and tears are falling down both Monika's Mother and Father's face.

Monika's Father: Is-is this true, Monika? Did you actually regret everything?

Monika:... Yes... I am so sorry. I was just jealous. But now I know that he loves me, and that there is enough room in his life for me.

There is a long silence before Monika gets up and holds my arm close to her body and says.

Monika: I really do love him. So much that it hurts. But I should've considered your feelings. I understand if you want nothing to do with me anymore. But... just know, I love you both, just as much as I love MC.

Before I knew it, Monika's parent's run towards her and pull her in for another group hug. This time I'm included, as I have been pulled in by Monika's parents as well. I feel the tears of Monika's father hit me. I look over at Monika, and I see that she is looking at me, smiling. Even when she's crying, she still manages to look so beautiful. I smile back, close my eyes and wrap my arms around them.

Monika's Mother: Please... don't ever leave us like that... ever again.

Monika's Father: It's all we ask for.

Monika cries even harder.

Monika: I won't... I promise....

Monika's father and mother let go and hug me only. I embrace them as well.

Monika's Father: Thank you... so much... for bringing our daughter back to us.

Monika's Mother: Thank you for being the light in her darkness. She is very lucky to have you.