Chapter 3- Together again

MC's POV:

Monika gasps slightly, her eyes staring deeper into mine. Clearly taken aback by what I had just said. I stare into her beautiful eyes and continue.

MC: Monika, it's true what you did to our friends was the wrong way to win my heart, but I understand. It 's okay. I forgive you.

Monika: Trying to hold back tears MC!

MC: I don't know if you believe me for that, but it's true. I forgive you Monika. What you did was out of... love. You truly cared and loved me. It's not your fault. It's mine. I should've noticed you a lot earlier. I don't know if you'll believe me when I say this, but, Monika... I am in love with you as well. I always have been. From the moment that I saw you when I walked into the Literature Club... I was overwhelmed with passionate feelings for you, but I could never bring myself to say it to your face. You are kind, beautiful, smart, I never thought that you could love someone... like me. I was shocked to see that I was wrong.

Monika: MC! This isn't your fault. None of this is! Please don't apologize. I'm the one who is shocked to see that after all I put you through, you could still find it in your heart to forgive me and still love me.

MC: I will always love you, Monika. My heart belongs to you and no one else. I hope you can find it in yourself to forgive yourself as I have. I should've had the courage to confess to you myself sooner. Instead, I couldn't, and that released a dark side of you. After I deleted you, I spent so much time trying to bring you back. And today, I was lucky enough to see your beautiful self, once again.

Monika: MC... do you really think that about me?

Monika's POV:

Did I hear him correctly? Did he actually say that he loved me? I must be dreaming, or is this all just an illusion created by the dark abyss I was in a few moments ago. Please stop torturing me! Please... I love him... but I don't deserve his love.

There is a long silence between us until MC final says something.

MC: Monika... I-I love you... so much... Please believe me.

It's like he was able to read my thoughts.

MC's POV:

After I say this, I see Monika's face light up. Her tears are flowing down her face like an elegant waterfall, and then come crashing down on the floor. I decide to make a move. I begin to walk slowly over to Monika. But before I can take a step further, she's already running toward me with her arms open wide. She wraps her arms around me and brings my body close. She then looks up to my face and kisses me. It was wet because of the tears, but I still enjoy it.

Monika reopens her eye's but she is still holding on to me. I move my hands to her back and hold her as well.

Monika: I love you too... MC. So much. I'm so happy that you brought me back. I was scared and alone. But, you saved me. Despite all that I had done to you, you still saved me... I-I...

I kiss her once more. It's a couple more seconds before she kisses back. We remain like this for a long time before eventually parting our lips. Monika is no longer crying and her eyes are still staring deep into mine.

Monika: I love you so much, MC.

MC: ... I love you too, Monika. Please... stay with me, make me happy and I will do the same. Monika... will you be... my girlfriend?

Monika lets out a smile. I am so relieved. I'm glad that she is happy once again. I haven't seen that smile in ages.

Monika: yes... YES! Yes I will! I thought you would never ask!

We embrace once more before Monika says something else. This time her tone is different. She sounds nervous, and I don't like the sound of that.

Monika: But... What about our friends? I don't know if they are as willing to forgive me as you are. I'm scared, MC. What if they still hate me?

MC:...

I look at Monika. She wasn't kidding when she said that. It seems as if she just went pale from the idea of our friends hating her. But, I already have an answer for her.

MC:... Monika, I would be lying if I said that they would forgive you at first sight. But I bet that if you give them time. They will find it in their hearts to forgive you. I am sure about that.

Monika: R-really?

MC: Yes. I believe it. It's up to you to determine whether you believe it or not.

Monika:... okay... yes, I believe you.

MC: And besides, even if they don't ever forgive you, just know that I do. I promise. Please don't delete yourself again. If I can't bring you back... I won't know what I'd do with myself. I could never forgive myself for being responsible for that.

Monika: I won't... I won't leave you... ever! I want to stay by your side. I want to give you as much love as I possibly can! So, I can reassure you that we will stay together. And endure what the future holds... together.

I take her hand.

MC: And I will do the same.

Monika: P-promise?

I place my forehead against hers and close my eyes.

MC: I promise.

I reopen my eyes and see that she is smiling once more. Damn, it's like that smile is my weakness. We hold hands as we reascend the steps. When we get to the top, Monika stops. It's snowing outside. I stop and look at the snow with her.

Monika's POV:

Wow! I-is it... December? I was gone for a long time, haven't I? I can't imagine what MC must have gone through without me.

MC takes my hand and sits me on the couch and sits beside me. I lean my head against his shoulder and place my hand on top of his. His body is... warm. I feel so comfortable. Finally... After all this time, we're together.

Monika: How long was I gone?

MC looks down. I don't think I am going to like what he is going to say.

MC: You've been gone... for two years.