Two Questions

"Running from your own party?" Callum turned to see Soren walking his way.

"I just need a break." Callum turned back to look out over the kingdom.

"A break from the guests, or from forcing a smile?" Soren asked as he leaned against the railing of the balcony.

"Both. I've had to listen to each one of them try to convince me on how their daughter is far better than the bloodthirsty, vile, horned-beast called Rayla." Callum gripped the railing tighter. "I damn near caved the last one's teeth in."

"Aggressive much?" Soren joked. "You had plenty of time to back out of this, but you didn't so quit crying."

"Is that anyway to speak to royalty?" Callum raised his brow.

"Royal thorn in my side." Soren shot back, earning a half-hearted punch to his arm.

"How's Rayla doing?" Soren sighed at the question.

"How do you think? Listening to all the bad rumors of her and you, I'm surprised she hasn't lost it yet."

"Good to know we're in the same boat."

"And there's another thing Callum." Soren's tone grew slightly darker, drawing Callum's full attention. "Marcos and I have caught rumors about your, 'experience' in Xadia. He's trying to track down who started it, but so far, he's done a damn good job of covering his ass." Callum was quiet as her thought. "Though, I saw you walking around earlier. So, I'm sure you already knew that."

"I can't get anything past you can I?" Callum offered lightly.

"Not a thing. But seriously Callum, be careful."

"Oh, hey Callum." Ethari spoke cheerfully. "Finally got away from your admirers?"

"I wouldn't call them admirers, more like leeches." To Ethari, Callum seemed void of energy as he spoke, but Runaan could tell it was something else.

"What's bothering you?" Runaan's suspicions were correct as Callum instantly straightened upon hearing his question.

"Um, there's something I wanted to ask you Runaan." Callum's eyes shifted to Ethari. "Privately, if you don't mind." Ethari looked between the two before he realized what Callum was going on about. With a smile and a nod, Ethari walked off to join another group of party guests. An awkward silence settled between the two, but only lasted a few moments before Callum continued. "Let's go outside, away from unwanted listeners."

"So, what's this all about?" Runaan asked once they were outside and he settled against the railing.

"Well, um, there's this tradition humans have." Callum began to fidget slightly. "I know I don't need to do it, since we're already halfway through planning the whole thing. But I wanted to make it mean something more, and with the party and all..."

"You're rambling boy." Runaan cut him off. Readjusting himself, Callum took a breath and continued.

"When humans want to marry, they propose to their significant other. And before they ask their partner, they ask for permission from their partner's parents."

"I take it you already asked the others?"

"Yeah. I actually asked them the last time you were all here. But after everything that happened between us, I was too scared to speak with you."

"You were afraid I'd say no." Runaan's stern voice ripped through Callum, though he forced a small nod. "So, then what changed?" Callum took a breath and slowly brought his eyes to match Runaan, a stern look of his own on his face.