Yes

Winston's POV

I waited for Monty's response on the edge of my seat. He took a breath and breathed out before answering. "Yes."

"Yes?" I asked, confirming his answer. Monty breathed out again. "Yes. I will tell them. Just... make sure that no one I know is there. Doesn't the court have to keep everything confidential and shit?" I wasn't sure about that, but I wasn't going to let it stop him from testifying. It made me feel a little guilty about how scared he sounded when he said he didn't want anyone to be there. He's still terrified and in denial.

I reached over tentatively to touch his hand. He didn't look at me, but he didn't move away either. "Everything will be fine. Okay?"

"...Okay."

"Good. So you're meeting with Miss Anderson tomorrow," I continued. A look of confusion overtook Monty's face. "Wasn't I supposed to meet with her today?" Monty asked. I smiled. "I lied. I just used her as a scapegoat to be able to see you." When I asked her about it, she surprisingly agreed really easily. "You did that for me?" Monty asked. I went to touch his face, but he flinched away. Not missing a beat, I said, "Look at me." He didn't. "Look at me." I say it more urgently.

Monty's brown eyes met mine. I don't say anything, letting my expression do the talking. I stare at him affirmatively and reassuringly, my hand still on top of his. He seems to relax and it makes me smile again. "No touching!" a guard from the outside yells at me. I clear my throat and quickly swipe my hand away.

When it was time for me to leave, I looked at Monty one last time and gave him the biggest smile I could muster. I figured he might need something encouraging to help him through.

Monty's POV

I could look at Winston smiling all day and not complain once. He's so fucking pretty. This is what I thought about as I tried to sleep. I also thought about the trial, and how I was going to publicly come out in front of an entire group of people. The thought made me shudder, but I had Winston's smile to fall back on. With his voice in my mind, I began to drift off. I was already half asleep when something, or should I say someone, jolted me awake.

"Hey! Are you that fucking faggot rapist?" It was a group of guys that I'd seen around the cafeteria and the gym. You did not want to mess with them, but me being my confrontational self wasn't going to take shit from anyone. "What if I am?" I spat. With a single punch, I was down. "Newbies like you need to learn your fucking place!" one of them snarled. "Fuck you!" I yelled back.

I got up quickly and started attacking the one who hit me. I got some good damage done but it was four against one. It didn't take long for them pull me off the guy I was going at and shove me down. I coughed, feeling the fight. I was getting demolished. My vision was blurring and the only thing my mouth could taste was blood.

They had covered it so I wouldn't make noise that'd alert the guards. My lungs felt collapsed, like there was no air as I continued to search for it. The pain was becoming worse and worse. With my last glimpses of light, I saw one of them pulling out something sharp. In that moment, Winston became the only thing I could taste on my lips, and the only thing I could see in my eyes.

There he was, right in front of me, smiling. This time, I smiled back. Then I couldn't feel the pain anymore.

~~~

Winston's POV

I didn't even get to say goodbye.