Chris 4

Chris

“Chris take out the trash on your way over to Tasha’s” a voiced ordered from up stairs.

“Okayyy Ma!”  I responded loud enough for her to hear. “Marques get the trash” I turned around to face him eating a sandwich. “But she asked you!” he said with a full mouth sitting on the granite worktop.  “Well I asked you freeloader” I took the sandwich from his plate and started eating as he cursed and got up to get the trash.

“What? We all know Miss Tee can’t cook” my voice muffled behind the sandwich in my mouth.

“She ain’t  that bad, her mac’n’ cheese is the shit” he argued

“Brahh that mac’n’cheese is from sally’s!” I laughed at his stupidity as he walked out with the trash.

We lived in a small suburban neighbourhood so news and gossip travelled quickly. Everyone knew that Miss Tasha couldn’t cook, all the dinner parties she had were catered for by some restaurant in the city. It didn’t matter though because Miss Tee was fine! Like Gabrielle Union fine! And she knew it.  She was always in the tightest or shortest outfits in the summer, her hair always on point; she was the woman of my dreams. If it wasn’t for Marques’ goofy ass I would have had a shot too, yeah she liked them young. But it wasn’t just Marques who stood in my way; her niece Erica didn’t help either. We had a past.

Before I could wonder down memory lane Marques came back in distracting me from my thoughts.

“You ready dawg?” He said washing his hand in the kitchen sink. Momma hated that and he knew it.

“Yeah c’mon” we walked out and crossed the road whilst messing around and cracking the jokes till we reached the garage by the driveway. I’ve always wondered how she managed to afford a house in this part of town. She was on a bank clerk salary yet she had a two cars parked out front. One she’s bought for Erica. Shit didn’t make sense, the whole neighbourhood suspected she was from some wealthy family who paid for everything. Momma owned a couple boutiques in the city and Marques’ Dad was surgeon, needless to say that a bank clerk could not afford to live here.