Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Jenny

“Where here.” I was so absorbed into my iPod I almost didn’t hear my father.

“Huh?”  I mumbled.

“Where here.” He laughed “C’mon let’s get your stuff out of the car”. He opened the car door and climbed out. I could no longer keep my displeasure from him. It had been 5 hours since we’d last spoke. I didn’t understand why I had to go through this. What had I done to acquire this punishment?  “I don’t understand why I have to spend 3 months with this bitch and whatever man she decides to let into her panties” I spat at the idea of spending summer with that hoe.

He let out a heavy sigh as he came round to open my door and crouched down before he spoken. “Jay, that’s your mom you’re talking about. Please just don’t...just give her chance... she isn’t that bad “

“Calvin.  Don’t insult me by referring to that common prostitute as my mother. I have no mother. And I’m starting to doubt I have a father for that matter.  And just for future references all my acquaintances refer me as Jenny; Jay is only for those I regard as close.” I said with all the disgust I could muster

Calvin stood and the hurt could be seen in his expression. He was tall. Really Tall. “Jennifer get out the car.” He orders as he headed over to open the back of the black Mercedes.

“Fine Calvin. Whatever.” I fumed as I rolled my head.

“Listen here lil’ girl, you will respect me. I am yo father and no amount of head rolling, teeth kissing and cursing will change that. So stop with that bullshit. I’ve tried my best with you but you are getting on my last nerve. I don’t know how things are in England but in the UNITED STATES OF THIS AMERICA I WILL WHOOP SOME SENSE INTO YOUR BLACK ASS.” Roared so loudly it scared me into submission making me hurry out the car and start unpacking the car.

 I’d never seen Calvin this angry. Well to be fair I haven’t seen Calvin much.  I grew up in England with my grandmother and my parents weren’t part of my life since I was 4. When my father left my mother she broken down and sent me to live with Mammy whilst she fucked everything that moved in Virginia. I hated that bitch. Calvin on the other hand was a more frequent presence in my life; although he wasn’t around he always made sure his money was. He tried to pay his was out of fatherhood by sending large sums of money to me and Mammy ever since I could remember. Calvin Roberts was no father and he didn’t hide it. The bastard spent his time drinking champagne on yachts and having meaningless sex with various women. Occasionally his conscience caught up with him and he’d pick up the phone to hold an awkward conversation with his daughter.

“Dad, please don’t make me stay here. Why can’t I stay with you this summer? Daddy.....” I pleaded whilst trying to get the last bag out of the trunk.

“Dad?” he laughed “now I’m yo Dad? What happened to Calvin? Or That nigga?  Don’t even try me get your ass up that fucking drive way.” He grabbed the large two suitcases and left me with my backpack and a duffle.

We walked up the drive way of beige house in silence till we reached brown wooden the door. Calvin gave me the look before knocking, I over exaggerated a smile to let him know I was gonna give this bitch hell.

 “Calv...” the chocolate coloured lady opened the door and gawked at the light skinned man at the door. His stood tall with thick pink lips and deep chestnut eyes. For his age my father was did not look too bad. He had a sharp wavey cut which was complimented by his virgin white teeth and the dimple on his left cheek.  At almost 6 ft 2 he was very muscular and stood with a broad chest which he did not look out of place due his long arms.

“Tasha” Calvin responded with a nod in his deep baritone.   

“Come in... Please...errm..”   She struggled to find words whilst she opened the door wider to reveal well decorated hall way.

“As much as I’d love to I can’t I’ve got to catch a flight to NY in less than two hours. I just came to drop Jenny off” Calvin didn’t even look at here in the face; he was too busy on his phone checking something. I could tell by his tone that he didn’t think much of her.  She was his ‘baby-momma’ and that was it. But with one look at her expression I could tell she was absolutely infatuated by every ounce of this man.

“Oh yeah Jennifer” she slapped her thigh as a light bold clicked in her mind.

“Hey Tashhhh. How’s are things? Remember me” sarcasm was obvious in my voice if she’d missed my eye roll.