Maggots

Another one of the policemen, Bolu, spoke to his comrades. He was semi-literate and spoke decent English. He pulled out a small nylon bag of beer from his pocket and sipped from it. He looked into the intrigued and mystified eyes of his comrades. "I was with my mother when I saw them, those boys that stole her things. One of them wore a large silver ring earring. It's like he tied a small red and black cloth on it. In this country, you need to fear people and red cloth. One carpenter threw his hammer at that boy. The hammer hit his shoulder and wounded him, but the carpenter suffered more."

"Bolu, the hammer injure the boy. What else could be worse?" His comrade chewing a dirty toothpick asked. "There was a giant nail on one of his benches. Next to that nail, there were scissors. A large block of wood fell on a plank on the bench. The plank made the nail land in his stomach. I heard that his intestine fell on the floor. He was shocked, and he was moving his hand in the air anyhow. His palm touched the scissors, and because the scissors were hot, he removed his hand very fast. He ended up carrying the scissors with his fingers, and they flew into his eyes. He fell on the ground and stayed there. The pain was too much for him to move. The most unfortunate part for him was that he didn't have any living family members. The other shop owners around him were very greedy and evil people."

"In this country, I swear that we cannot look out for ourselves." A fair-skinned policeman with severe acne on his face sighed. "First one woman, her sister, and her brother rushed in when they heard his scream. Her brother kicked the man's head very hard! It was as if he was kicking one stray dog! The carpenter didn't die, but he started screaming. The pain was terrible. I think that it felt like five small knives stabbed his skull. The sister took a large wooden hammer from a container next to her and slammed it on his face. He died instantly. They suddenly started clearing his shop. The woman found his small box of jewelry, with his rings and necklaces he was going to use when he found himself a fiancee.

She stole it, along with his week's earnings and some of the velvet material he used for making sofas and beds. They ran away, and another set of people came. When the seventh set of people ransacked his shop, they buried him in a gutter under a pile of filth. They cleared everything in the shop, the benches, the wood, the tools, the clock, the pictures, even his dirty blue food flask, and water bottle!" The policemen sighed and walked back to their jeep. Bolu's phone rang in his pocket, and he answered his call. Three minutes later, he was talking to his comrades again. "We have trouble this night. The girl that died with Oluwatosin, this matter is related to her. Let's go to the station and plan ourselves."

Nneka and Dennis walked next to each other, holding hands and speaking softly. They connected instantly. Dennis smirked when he remembered Nneka stealing the dead man's wallet. She was beautiful, well endowed, cunning, smart, sly, and alluring. Nneka clenched his hand tighter and looked deep into his eyes. She found his cocky yet mysterious aura attractive. She also loved his strong jaw, smooth skin, and light brown eyes. She felt like kissing his pink, plump lips. She loved how he held her waist and was honest with her. They walked into a corner on the street and spent some time together in a dark alley.

They soon walked out of the alley. Nneka's hair was messy, and her clothes were rumpled. Dennis's hair was rough, and his shirt was crumpled. Their clothes were barely hanging off them. Dennis pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. Nneka rested her head on his chest and smiled softly. They were going to meet Bilkis that night. "My boys say the police will join us after we're done.

"We'll get your Bilkis, teach her a good lesson, raid the house a bit, and punish the woman living there." Smooth, fast Yoruba rolled off his tongue like honey. "Oluwatosin Ebere and his fake girlfriend's death is because of her. Let's go get changed, at least." Nneka giggled and swatted a mosquito on her shoulder. "I know where to get the stuff we need. I have some extra cash from that dead man. Let's start going before our juju will start reducing." They walked past an old couple, and they both pulled out their wallets from their pockets. The couple was thieves, and they were outsmarted by better thieves.

Efezino Segun cradled her youngest children on her knees. As she patted his back, she pondered on when she would go to stir her beans. She sat in front of her front door, watching her neighbors pass by and litter her yard. A young man emptied a bottle of stale beer on one of her hibiscus plants. They had to litter her compound if they wanted to be in good graces with her. The children she held did not belong to her. She took them from some mothers and forced them to drink a potion she made so they would forget that she had their children. No one could defy her. She was going to feed the children her beans. The corpses of those who ate the beans would become mindless zombies, acting upon the will of their master.

The oldest child, a dark-skinned boy, looked at her with fear in his eyes. He missed his older sister and mother, and he did not like the scary and smelly things she did in her house. Her Nokia torchlight phone buzzed in her dress pocket. Immediately the boy gently carried the children off her lap and placed them on a mat in front of him. She smiled and revealed her black, rotting, sparse teeth. "Bilkisu, my daughter, so you have everything I asked you to get for me? I told you, I will do a great job, like last time with Farida. Yes, make sure you bring plenty locust bean and a big bag of pepper. Thank you. God bless you." The boy stroked the head of the baby girl in his arms. A small tear fell off his cheek and on his ragged trousers.

Bilkis arrived in the evening with Efezino's package. She bullied a young girl into giving her fifty red peppers worth one thousand naira for free. She stole the locust beans from one of the vendors near her house. He almost hit her with a plank, but one of G-Boss's boys knocked him out. She was frustrated at how G-Boss refused to terrorize people with her. She hated how she heard other girls when she called him, how he ghosted her, and how he stopped kissing her. She gripped Efezino's package in her hand, silently pledging to make him suffer. Efezino was leaning on her cane, holding a small yet thick brown envelope. She shakily stretched her hand to receive her package.

Seeing the smug smile of the woman helping G-Boss to avoid her, something in Bilkis snapped. Bilkis suddenly pulled out a pocket knife from between her breasts and plunged it deep into her forehead. Efezino died immediately. The young boy standing behind Efezino stared at Bilkis, preparing himself to die. "Get out of this place!!" She yelled at him. She shoved the envelope of money into his hands and helped him load the other children on a small wheelbarrow. He grabbed an old shirt on the floor and tucked the envelope in his trousers before running away.

An iron rod was next to Efezino's corpse. Bilkis picked it up and pressed it between her palms. She kept rolling it and lowering it simultaneously to form a crude drill. The tip of the rod was rough and blunt. Brain matter, blood, and pieces of bone flew in her face. She pulled out a small nylon bag of salt from her shoe and dumped it in the hole she made. Suddenly, blue and white maggots leaking pus from their heads began to form in the hole. Bilkis made a small salt circle around her and sprayed a brown liquid from a perfume bottle on her wrists, feet, shoulders, and face. The maggots writhed and squirmed wildly. They started eating up the brain until there was nothing but a hollow dry skull left. They avoided Bilkis's body and devoured Efezino's corpse. As soon as the last piece of flesh eaten, they died. Only a rotten, dusty skeleton remained. Their bodies fell through the floor and disappeared, leaving a faint scent of oranges in the room.

Bilkis failed to notice Dennis and Nneka walking into the room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Everyone is going mad in this story😂😂🤷‍♀️The next chapter(s) will give a better picture of who Efezino is, why Bilkis murdered her, and what Dennis and Nneka planned to do in Efezino's house. 😁I have midterms this week🤷‍♀️😃, so I won't be able to pitch in a chapter for a while. This is one of my favorite parts of the story, and I hope you're enjoying it. Don't forget to vote, and I hope to hear your opinions in the comments! Stay tuned, and stay safe!!🦆❤💖✨